585,758 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko power supply 2/3" current rating?

Gecko power supply 2/3" current rating?

I am revamping my mills controller box, actually building a new one and I just saw that geckos only use 2/3 the rated power. Does this mean that I can take my 3 4.7A motors and run them off a 10a power supply? Do they always draw less or this much or will they go over? 4.7 * 3 = 14.1A, but 2/3 of that is: 9.4A

Would I be risking it if I built a power supply with 2 10A transformers in series or should I use 4? I have 4 available but would rather not use them all if I don't have to.

Jon

No one can help?
    I took a look through the manual and it seems pretty rock solid. I guess Ill just try it and monitor the temp of the transformers.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JFettig
    I am revamping my mills controller box, actually building a new one and I just saw that geckos only use 2/3 the rated power. Does this mean that I can take my 3 4.7A motors and run them off a 10a power supply? Do they always draw less or this much or will they go over? 4.7 * 3 = 14.1A, but 2/3 of that is: 9.4A

Would I be risking it if I built a power supply with 2 10A transformers in series or should I use 4? I have 4 available but would rather not use them all if I don't have to.

Jon
    Okay, it's not that Geckos use less power it's that PWM is used therefore what most have observed is that with the duty cycle that is most often used / achieved only about 2/3 of the current rating for each phase is observed.

Why would you want to put the power transformer outputs in series? You would actually want to parallel the outputs to gain the additional current rating....so 2 10amp outputs would suffice. Better to have some extra current reserve then not having enough.

I am putting them in series to get a 67v 10a power supply, otherwize I have 4 power supplies to double the current, in a series-parallel configuration.

Jon

The Gecko site says motors wired bipolar parallel will never exceed 2/3 the rated current. 1/3 for bipolar series.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)