585,898 active members*
5,092 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

converting mill to CNC with ATC

Hi all,

This is my first post here, thought it was time to share my project with you and maybe get some help.

about 2 years ago I bought a new conventional mill, soon after that I decided to convert it to CNC using servos and gecko drives controlled by a pc and mach III.

Picture below is the one I got

Changed all the screws to ballscrews and attached servos to it, works great. rapids on x and y are 4 meter/minute and on z 2 meter/minute

Now the reason why a post this, is because I plan on building a power drawbar and ATC for this machine.

Before i can even think of designing the ATC I need a drawbar, I saw the thread of H.O. and his BT30 spndle: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41200 , I was thinking of doing something similar. has anyone done this for this type of mill? I currently have ISO30 tools and spindle with a screw for the drawbar.
    And if I decided to make a new spindle like the one HO built, does it have to be hardend, or could I just use normal steel and leave it at that?

kind regards
    Bram

Dunno about that but.....

DO you think you could post some pictures of your cnc conversion on this mill. I t is basically the same machine as my Lathemaster and I am curious as to how you did yours. ALso if you could post some video of it running that would really be cool. I have similar ideas about an ATC but I am still converting my machine. Thanks and peace...