585,937 active members*
3,909 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

how to get motors to go faster?

hi all ive just wired up one axis on the table to see how me motors perform well after hours of trying to get it wired correctly i have movent all be it slow?.

i have an msd542 driver set to 4.2amp and 1600 pulse/rev
    me motors are large 1.8 200 steps 4.2amp motors for some reason i cant get the shaft to rotate very fast at all the shaft takes a fair amount of time to do a 360.

any input would be great oh im using trial ver of mach3.

Press the shift-key together with an arrow-key and be surprised what happens! ;-)

Have you run the driver test in Mach3? From what I've read, it doesn't appear that your setup is working correctly. In the motor tuning screen, the up and down arrows should be spinning your motors. Does that work? If not, with a meter, measure the voltage at the parallel port for the DIRECTION pin, while attempting to jog back and forth. See if it toggles between 0V and 5V. If it does, check it at the other end of the parallel cable.

When you jog in Mach3, are the DRO's showing movement? And is the DRO movement faster than your actually getting?

Also, hit the tab key when in Mach3, and make sure you're slow jog is not set to a realy low number.

Sounds to me, though, like the drives are not getting the correct step and direction signals. One other thing to try is to increase the pulse width in motor tuning to 30 or 40.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Angry Slow motors, DANG!

Hi stk2008,
    You don't mention what your accel and max speed are set to.
    Under the config tab, top left of the screen, choose motor tuning and see what the settings are for each axis. you can use the sliders to increase the speed. If I remember the default settings are pretty slow as to allow you to get going without breaking anything. If you make a change, you must hit the save button for each axis before you go to the next or your settings will be lost.

Also remember if those are large nema 34 motors, on a small power supply, they won't go all that fast before they stall anyway. A good guess would be 750 rpm or 12.5rps as a max. 60 rpm is 1 rps and looks a lot slower.
    Don't expect these motors to spin like a servo. On my router the x axis will go 226ipm and you can just about count the motor rpms at that speed. It was a real shock to see a motor shaft go that slow.

If your steps per inch is set wrong, then the motors may go slow even with a high velocity setting as the speed sliders are based on the steps per inch setting.

If you are going to be using a 5tpi screw and you have 1600 steps/rev, set the steps per inch at 8000 an accel of 5 and a speed of 50ipm as a trial.
    If you jog and get a large buzzing sound, then lower the max speed until the motors turn reliably.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.