585,996 active members*
4,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Tree VNC 500 CNC Controller.

I have some problems with the controller on this machine. I am looking for anyone who knows how to fix this or can direct me to someone who does.

The ID I have is:

The hard labels say TPC2100. The splash screen at startup says Vickers. One of our CAM software vendors said use post processors for Acramatic 2100.

The manufacture's plaque does not contain a date. The only date I could find was on a paper label inside the operator unit 10-17-97.

BIOS: AMBIOS 1.00.07.CV2

The errors I encounter are:

> CMOS Checksum invalid
    > Memory size decreased
    > CMOS Time & Date not set
    >
    > Press <F1> for Setup, <ESC> to Boot

I tried the <F1> and set Time/Date but it returns to the default date (Jan 01,1990) and I get the last 2 lines above repeatedly (the reason for the thoughts of battery failure). <ESC> to boot leads to the problems below.

I could live with an erroneous date if I could get the machine booted. I get the following and there seems to be no combination of replies that result in a production mode!

> "Loader Failure"
    > box during start up.
    >
    > It is followed shortly and overlaid by a box
    > "apm.exe DLL Initialization failed"
    > pointing to
    > D:\Mustang\System\SY980115\Exe\msg.dll.
    >
    > That is overlaid by a "apm.exec Application Error"
    > box that contains the code (0xc0000142).

Is there any other information I can supply? I can bring my camera if screen shots will help.

Thanks for any/all help!

Leon
    "Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer."

Thinking you need to find the CMOS battery and replace it. That would be step #1. May cure all your prolems.

Quote Originally Posted by SCRAPWOTSCRAP View Post
    Thinking you need to find the CMOS battery and replace it. That would be step #1. May cure all your prolems.
    I appreciate the response.

That was my first thought. However, the only person I knew that was familiar with this machine (since passed away), told me “Changing the batteries in field will cause loss of production when the BIOS settings are lost.” Kinda scared me out of trying to change the battery!

Leon
    "Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer."

don't be funny and crazy. Most likely, you have del with 386 or 486 based regular "IBM - compatible" computer. It's good idea to record all BIOS Setup data before repair. replacement of CMOS battery is absolutelly necessary for this machine. It would be nice, if You have installation distributor for machine software, because some data on hdd maybe lost already.