584,817 active members*
4,832 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Gerber > Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408
Page 3 of 3 123

I need new cables

Hey TazzyDean, do you no where to purchase encoder motor cables for the x,y and z axis? Mine are going bad and Gerber distributors want $398 per cable. I appreciate any help on this.

Vacuum Chuck for CNC Router

Vacuum chucks are available for the small part sizes that you are needing to machine on your CNC router. A channel seal is used to contain the vacuum to the shape of the part. If interested, send machine size details and part details -

Precision Spindle & Accessories Inc.

www.precisionspindleinc.com tel. 519 671 3911
    [email protected] fax. 519 652 5994

Help Please

Can someone give a step by step instructions on how to run Enroute 3-d software on the Sabre 408 router. I know how to design thangs..i just don't understand how to get the g-code into the router... Note: My Enroute software is in my design computer, The router has its own computer.. What software or driver do i need in the router computer???? Thanks Dennis [email protected]

Hej

Hej Ping!

Äger själv en Gerber Sabre 408 sedan många år.
    Gör i regel orginal i illustrator som jag öppnar i Composer som därefter skickas till Artpath. I artpath fixar jag jag med verktygsinställningar etc.
    Sedan skickas den filen till en spooler som "snackar med fräsen"
    Detta funkar kanon!
    Nu till min fråga:
    Jag vill nu fräsa 3D och har därför införskaffat: Artcam2007 build 151
    Hur gör jag nu för att artcam ska "snacka med fräsen"
    Några tips och ideér.
    M v h
    Nicklas

Did you figure this out?

I think Enroute will export a .ptl file. That file can be imported by ArtPath on the computer that runs the 408. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by signup View Post
    Can someone give a step by step instructions on how to run Enroute 3-d software on the Sabre 408 router. I know how to design thangs..i just don't understand how to get the g-code into the router... Note: My Enroute software is in my design computer, The router has its own computer.. What software or driver do i need in the router computer???? Thanks Dennis [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
    I've played with Artcam and a 408 a little. Try setting the acceleration on the machine since there is no way to do so in Artcam. I think I read somewhere that Artcam will default to the lowest feedrate. I use IPM, acceleration on Auto and don't have a problem. I use the .ger (no ATC) post processor.

For 3D work I make sure that the Z axis feedrate is as high as I can get away with. The Z seems to be the limiting factor, for instance X,Y 150 IPM, Z 100 IPM is faster than X,Y 200 IPM, Z 50 IPM.

I've also had issues with the Y axis. The previous idiot, uh, I mean owner, used white grease as a lube. It took about 6 months to figure out why I was getting occasionaly Y-Axis errors but I tracked it down to the white grease and the dust and dirt it picked up. A couple of cans of non-chlorinated brake cleaner (especially by the drive nut) and the issues have gone away.

I do all my maching (except 3D) with Gerber ArtPath. It also has it's issues, but they're manageable.

My biggest frustration with the machine is the Z axis zeroing. I am having a dial gauge fixture built to be able to set each tool to within 0.001.
    I´ve started to play in Art Cam pro.
    I have a old Sabre408 with ATC, usually working in Art Path.
    Can U tell me how to get the .ger files from ArtPath in to the sabre.
    on the forum people talks about "hyper terminal" Gerber Spooler etc...
    Best regards Nick

Hi Nick

There should be a program called ArtSpool loaded on your computer. That seems to work reasonably well. There are limitations though. It will use wherever you start as 0,0 so you need to manually move your machine to the Home position before you start machining. It also will not allow a tool change within the program so you need to run a separate program for each tool bit.

Dropout

Hi Nick

There should be a program called ArtSpool loaded on your computer. That seems to work reasonably well. There are limitations though. It will use wherever you start as 0,0 so you need to manually move your machine to the Home position before you start machining. It also will not allow a tool change within the program so you need to run a separate program for each tool bit.

Dropout
    Thank´s for your post.
    Art spool I have but when I try to launch it I get a error message.
    The return home 0,0 is a thing I had in ArtPath before I´m used to that...
    OK if i get Art spool to work, do you have a clue what way to get the files in to the comport? Can I use gerbers spool?
    Regards Nicklas

Hi Nick

What error do you get?

What communication protocols are you using?

Dropout

Hi Nick

What error do you get?

What communication protocols are you using?

Dropout
    Hi
    Artspool is now working (version is 1.3)

I load a file made in Art Cam pro 2008 build151
    The file is a .ger file

Artspool asks: File transfer will commence after this message. Is the machine ready?
    The router is on in X0 Yo home.
    Yes
    Then artspool: "Unable to establish communication with machine"

The communication settings in artspool:
    Machine: Sabre 408
    Protocol: Gerber
    Serialport: Com1
    Baud rate: ? 2400
    Data bits, Parity, Stop bits and flow control cant be changed

Any ideas?
    Best regards Nick

Hi Nick

I checked my machine this morning, com1, 9600, 8, E, 1, N. Everything worked fine. I didn't have to set anything up on the Gerber at all.

Dropout

Baud Rate changed and it works!
    Thank´s a lot
    N

Quote Originally Posted by NicklasSwede View Post
    Baud Rate changed and it works!
    Thank´s a lot
    N

Gerber makes a good machine. I worked a shop about 15 years ago that ran one. I never ran it but the guys that did thought it was great. A few years ago I purchased a router for my company and we considered the gerber sabre but we got a great deal on another brand. I have heard that Gerber has great tech support also.

Re: Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by JJCNC View Post
    To answer your question: Yes the Sabre moves in all three directions at the same time. It is a true 3D system.
    JJCNC - I tried to private message you to ask if you had a wiring diagram for the 408. I know this thread is very old but maybe you are still around. I left a message on your visitors messages.
    Thanks, Chris.

Page 3 of 3 123