586,013 active members*
4,221 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MV-55 Toolchange problem

Hello all,
    I'm new here and this is my first post. I have an MV-55 with Fanuc 11M controls. I have been having intermittent problems with the tool changer lately. One problem has been the tool does not unlock from the spindle at times. The arm clamps to the tool holder and then as it moves down to remove it from the spindle, the arm will slip off and continue the tool change. As it rotates to bring around the next tool, the spindle tool is still in the spindle. Of course it ends with a crash of the new tool hitting the tool in the spindle.

The current problem is it will not complete a tool change.
    All is fine until the tool is placed into the spindle. At this point everything comes to a stop. After a few seconds the alarm will come up. At that point I do M31, M35, to clear it up. This happens on every tool change. Sorry for such a long post. Any help would be appreciated.

Sound like the spindle side is not release the tool, if you manualy take the tool out of spindle can you see or feel the draw bar knock the tool down about 0.02" if it doesn't knock on the tool then you need to look inside the spindle while press on spindle unclamp, may be the set of griper is not open to let the tool out?
    Ahn Vuong

Sometimes it works when done manually and sometimes it doesn't. I am able to hear the draw bar activating. It's working now. With a problem that comes and goes, it is hard to determine the reason. My other problem was a keep relay had changed. I got that one figured out. Thanks for the reply Ahn.

Check the level of oil in the unclamp cylinder. You may need to bleed the unclamp system.

I'm assuming this is a motor driven ATC and not the hydraulic type???

Have you checked the alignment of the tool v-flange to the atc gripper?

If this is the motor driven type, be careful!!! I remember the up/down lever on the MV-55 bending pretty easily, which will result in the arm not ascending high enough, and it's a MAJOR job to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by avtechmachine View Post
    Sound like the spindle side is not release the tool, if you manualy take the tool out of spindle can you see or feel the draw bar knock the tool down about 0.02" if it doesn't knock on the tool then you need to look inside the spindle while press on spindle unclamp, may be the set of griper is not open to let the tool out?
    Ahn Vuong

This sounds closer to the mark,
    When toolchanging manually, you must get a knock on the end of the pull-stud to break the taper seal, especially if you have done some heavy work or created heat on the holder, your manuals should state the distance the ejector should be in the unclamped position.

The taper should also be kept clean, dry and free of damage, big $$$ to replace a spindle shaft ( as well as the holder tapers ).

Toolchange alignment should also be regularly checked so the toolholder won't hit the spindle taper while inserting and extracting ( general maintainence).