585,888 active members*
4,004 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Please throw some light into RF CO2 lasers

Hi.
    Could somebody share the knowledge about RF sealed tube CO2 lasers.
    Namely, what voltage rating are used and at which RF frequency for lasers in 1-100w range. Does it vary between manufacturers?
    Lets say I have a 20W sealed tube, those found in Domino markers, is it possible to use the driver from other manufacturer on that tube?

I think I have read that RF lasers have its power supply energizing the tube just below the lasing point so it lases when the laser goes ON. This is contrary to HV CO2 lasers which have a trigger voltage higher than the operating one, is that correct?

Answers to these questions and also any other information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You supply RF sealed CO2 tubes with a low-voltage, high-amperage power... figure in the range of 45-50V (SS lasers are usually a few volts, unless placed in series) @ 5-20A (depends on laser power, but these figures are good to about an 80W system).

Excitement frequencies have a fairly wide range, typically from 30-160MHz (+/-).

Your memory from reading is correct. A DC tube needs a sharp voltage spike to begin ionization, which is followed by a more constant lower voltage to continue lasing (fluorescent and HID bulbs work in this manner). An RF tube's gases are excited via radio waves (like a microwave) directly, and therefore don't need to spike to begin ionization... instead, they are given a "trickle" pulse (nothing more than a low duty cycle), which keeps the gas "on the edge of its seat" if you will, waiting for a full turn-on signal.
    Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems