585,582 active members*
3,932 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Paint????

Paint????

I have an ancient Surface Grinder that I am PM'ing and in the process of it all I am repainting it to make it more presentable in our facility. I wanted to get some suggestions on paint/coatings to use on this machine that will resist the coolant and oils we use. I need a strong paint that holds up under tough conditions and I was hoping that you guys might be able to share some wisdom on this. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

jnsane,

Sherwin-Williams and Rohm and Haas both have some good chemical resistant paints. We deal with both of these companies a lot in our metal finishing division.

One thing to keep in mind is that the additives that are in coolants ie. biocides, rust inhibitors, and caustics, tend to be pretty agressive toward paint. It may be a good idea to find a coolant with less agressive additives that will keep the paint on your machines looking better over time.

Hope this helps!

-Coolantman

EnviroServe Chemicals, Inc.
    (910) 892-1791
    www.enviroservechemicals.com

Coolantman,

I have had Sherwin-Williams come in and look at my project a month or so ago and give me their take on it. I know that its probably my best option but in the current economic situation I was hoping to find a more cost effective alternative. I would imagine that the SW option would be the longer more suited application for what I'm trying to do. Thanks for the info.

Johnny

I used a lot of SW 2 part epoxy. I believe they called it high density solids or something like that. Potent stuff, had to paint (spray) on weekends with good ventilation.

Learned the hard way, use cheap spray guns and throw them away after use. Cost more in labor to clean up than they were worth. Also, requires clean machine and correct barrier coat/primer or everything will wrinkle up and slide off the machine.

After paint is applied and dry, lasts like forever. A big horizontal boring mill painted in the 1980's still looks good today.

Dick Z
    DZASTR