586,005 active members*
5,147 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help identifying a couple servo motors

Can anyone help me with the specs of this type of DC servo motor (atleast, I think it's a servo motor)

the numbers on the labels are as follows:

NMB UNIVERSAL MAGNETICS, INC.
    AN NMB COMPANY
    10211-301-000
    ME21026017 8540

I tried googling the numbers for data sheet search but came up with bupkiss...can anyone help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0008.jpg   000_0011.jpg  
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

The brushes indicate a DC servo motor fitted with an encoder on the rear.
    No data on it though.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al_The_ Man.

Yeah, I knew they could be servo (yeah, I forgot to mention the encoders, also) but I have really never messed around with servos but have seen many bench top machines with similar servos, which had me thinking of using these on a lathe, but there in lies the problem, I haven't the specs to work with...but again, Al. thanks for confirming.

Looks like the servomotors out of a plotter that once had! Will look around and see if I have any specs.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

If it's like the servomotors I've dealt with ,the only significant part of the part number is probably the 10211. The -301-000 would be a tie to the customer's specs (i.e. modification of the base part like the custom shaft etc.) and would be just a sequential number (i.e. the 301st variation of the basic part), the ME21026017 would be the customer's internal part number and the 8540 would be a datecode (40th week of 1985).

Not that that helps, because the -301-000 might also specify a custom winding.

For the encoder, just pull off the endcap and look at it. It will be a standard part (likely from US Digital)

Edit: Here's a post by Al The Man on determining the characteristics of a DC/servomotor. /edit

Randy

Bubba, it sounds like you had the same plotter that this guy had. I hope you can help praetor.

The plotter company I worked for (Zeta Graphics, formerly Bruning Computer Graphics, formerly Nicolet Zeta, formerly Zeta Research) tended to use Clifton servomotors.

Randy

Thanks guys

I want to thank you guys for helping me with these motors. Bubba they are from a plotter I don't remember the name of the machine, I just grabbed the motors, but any help would be greatly appreciated, again thanks

Smile

I have two of those also. came from a calcomp plotter I looked over a year ago and never found anything on them

I haven't found anything yet, but yes mine are from a calcomp that got hit by lightning about 15 years ago! I thought about using them when I cnc'd my mill drill back about 2002, so hopefully, I can still find the info I had. If not, maybe we can figure it out from some formulas that were sent to me by Mariss!
    Art

you can have mine if you want them Bubba

Thanks, but no thanks! I figured looking at them they were way to small for doing my mill/drill and now lay on a bench or shelf some place:})

I have some that are heavy enough, that I could probably direct couple on my lathe and still break things. That is the next project that I am working on.

One of these days, will stop making machines and make "stuff":})
    Art

I understand that it may be hard to tell by just looking at the pics, but it seems you all have more experience with motors and their technical aspects than I do, but at best guess does anyone think these can function properly (mostly fast) attached to a homemade lathe and mill that range between the sizes of sherline and X2 mini-lathes and mills? looks very similar to a Levin toolroom lathe and mill only 1x or 2x bigger.
    I'd like to attach these motors (which were removed from a large plotter) to my machines
    I am going to be working with wood, 1/4" plexi, 1/4 -1/2 alum and Ren board 5008, all within 24" x 24". would the motors possibly be strong enough to do this, on a smaller scale?:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTSIoygZHDc"]YouTube - cnc machining ren board[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTSIoygZHDc"]YouTube - cnc machining ren board[/ame]

I understand the difference between the size of the machine in the video and the machine(s) I want to attach it to (apples and oranges and what not) but again, can I achieve something similar or close to that of the video (hell, even half the speed or less would be ok) with my motors but on a much smaller scale? (rough esitmated shape...around...4"x4" minimum to possibly 9 inch square, max?

oops

Wo' I used two of the same video, sorry about that.

Here's another, the important inertia match.
    Al.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

YES!

The best (helpful) members, are cnczone.com members. Al_The_Man, hesham morsy, Bubba, kevin swan, zephyr9900. I can't thank you guys enough for helping me try to figure out the specs on the DC servos I have. Al_The_Man, hesham morsy thanks for taking the time to share those web links they'll help...a lot. I want to buy all of those listed in this post a drink each (a teleporter machine would be beneficial right about now...guys, anyone? any inventing takers?). I had these motors for quite some time (8 yrs.) with many ideas for them but was never sure of them, so you can imagine how ecstatic I am to actually use them. YESSSS! :banana:

Hello Praetor
    I'm French and I am looking how to use this type of engine
    Can you help me on the connection of ten son of the encoder with a diagram sorry for my English
    thank you in advance