585,729 active members*
4,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > What Do You Do When You're Not Doing CNC
Page 1 of 11 123

What Do You Do When You're Not Doing CNC

This thread has been in the back of my mind for a long time. Here on CNCzone we have a great variety of people; some do CNC for a living and some do it for a hobby. I do it for a living and my 'hobby' is puttering around my property doing stuff, and travelling.

I have an ancient little Case digger which I re-engined with a Honda twin cylinder in the first two pictures. I replaced a rotten old wood fence with a chain link fence and pulled out the old one with my trusty little Honda/Case.

Who else has pictures of their non-CNC activities?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hobby1.jpg   Hobby2.jpg   hobby3.JPG   hobby4.JPG  

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I do not have any photos but I am a woodturner in my spare time
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

:idea: Looking to improve the CAD/CAM Computer!!!

Watching one of our cats do Human things

Thinking of Designs

Reading 8 million posts by Geof

Oh, Moderating CNC Zone.

Going for long walks with the better half. (Spring, Summer, Fall)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rotary-engine.gif   IMG_2580.jpg   IMG_2579.jpg   11-8-08003.jpg  

IMG_4975.jpg   IMG_5214.jpg  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I don't mind wetting a line when time/weather permits, raising my three young kids is the biggest occupier of my time and certainly the most rewarding.

Russell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Franklin Islands.jpg  

This weekend tried to put a tree down but did not go to plan.
    Missed the target and got hung up.
    Now trying to put down by winching the base of the trunk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tree1.jpg   Tree2.jpg   Tree3.jpg   Tree4.jpg  

Tree5.jpg   Tree6.jpg  

Drag Racing, parts designing, and engine building.

Shameless bump to bring it imto view again.

Surely there are more than five people on the Zone who do things other than CNC.

Don't be shy, let's have pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Shameless bump to bring it imto view again.

Surely there are more than five people on the Zone who do things other than CNC.

Don't be shy, let's have pictures.
    Be careful Geof. We really don't want to see every thing members do when their not CNC'ing.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I'm very single minded. When not on the 'Zone and still conscious, I design machinery or tooling or having a beer. Or both. LOL

Really, I do other things like having coffee at the cafe' liars club etc. This retirement crap does have SOME benefits.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Rewarding hobbies have been Model Aircraft, flying versions.
    Boat Building, (hand carved Sitka Spruce masts) two Sail boats, one Ski Boat, One Cedar strip Canoe.
    Portaging in to Wilderness lakes for Fishing.
    Solo'ed a Piper Cherokee.
    Sailed on a 4 master.
    Last effort, rebuilt a burnt out Jaguar XJS V12.
    When nothing to do, tinker with Electronics
    Al.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails File0024.jpg  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Life is worth living.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 111.jpg   222.JPG  

When not machining I like to go hill walking in Scotland. Pic 2 is a short cut
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0274.jpg   100_0290.jpg  
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Learning new opera arias? I'm a basso.

Although I cannot post pics now, I can write.
    I like to bang of drumheads with my hands, and have a Dumbek and a Darbuka. I also play Congas in the church band about every other weeks or so.
    I build paint and race little H.O. scale slotcars. This was the original reason for buying the Sherline equipment. Now I use the Sherline gear mostly for work.
    I'd love to find some pics of a Sherline mill to which someone has attached linear slides.
    I'm building a large outdoor kitchen at home. It will have a granite countertop, and stucco sides. It's based upon the Weber 'Performer'. I picked up the granite this morning.
    I ride mountain/street bikes once in awhile just for fun. I do the 50 mile ride from Rosarito Beach to Ensenada, Baja California, twice a year.
    I'm converting my VW diesel jetta to run on WVO.
    I stay busy busy busy.

I figured I would bump it back into view. Hang gliding in Australia is a bit beyond me, walking in Scotland I could do but I may balk at the shortcut.

My latest weekend was spent drywalling and then painting until I ran out of paint. It was raining so I went into my Barn workshop and worked on some prototypes I am developing; which don't qualify because that is CNC.

Spring Cleaning:drowning:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Well I did try my hand at wakeboarding over the long weekend, and now I am paying for it...at least it only hurts when I laugh ... and breathe (chair)

Russell.

Putting up a Motorized dish for my FTA reciever. :rainfro:
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    Well I did try my hand at wakeboarding over the long weekend, and now I am paying for it...at least it only hurts when I laugh ... and breathe (chair)

Russell.
    1987 was the last year I went surfing, and broke three ribs. You are correct it only hurts when you breathe, or laugh, or swallow, or move, or stay still; for several weeks.

Way too many hobbies, of which CNC is but one:

Astronomy:

Hot rodding cars (that's a twin turbo Pantera):

Digital photography:

Cooking, especially on the grill:

Scuba diving:

Cheers,

BW

Page 1 of 11 123