584,808 active members*
5,178 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > PlasmaCam > Plasma Cam Owner - Reducing Slag from Sheet Metal
Page 2 of 2 12

re help

Thank you I am cutting 16 guage steel with a hypertherm 1000 need help i am getting too much slag and wont cut through metal some times...

A few more questions:

1. You need the FineCut consumables....do you have them?
    2. What model PlasmaCam do you have? 98Z, DHC, DHC2, or Samson

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    A few more questions:

1. You need the FineCut consumables....do you have them?
    2. What model PlasmaCam do you have? 98Z, DHC, DHC2, or Samson

Jim
    I have the fineCut Consumables and I have DHC2

I am new to this bare with me

[QUOTE=waynejones123;614789]I have the fineCut Consumables and I have DHC2 PlasmaCam

Ensure you have these parts in your torch:
    1. 220404 ohmic shield
    2 220061 ohmic retaining cap
    3. 220329 nozzle
    4. 120926 electrode
    5. 120925 swirk ring

Under settings in the PlasmaCam software.

1. ensure you have the auto height control active.
    2. set the material thickness
    3. set the cut speed at between 120 and 150 inches per minute
    4. set cut height at .08"
    5. set pierce height at .12"
    6. set the height control to "calibrate on next cut"

Set the amperage control on the Powermax1000 to 40 Amps.

Ensure that the PlasmaCam is controlling the height to .08" (the thickness of a nickle) off the plate when cutting. Make sure your ground clamp is making a good connection....make sure there is no moisture in your air supply to the plasma. These cuts should be very nice!

Jim Colt

Thank you for the help I have had my plasmaCam with the powermax 45 hypertherm.
    I cut really fine Art in my metal. Alot of Lines in my Metal Art, I am a retired Trophy and awards, Laser Engraver. Still own 3 lasers and wanted to switch to Metal I was told that the fineline consumables and the 1000 would give me the cuts I am looking for.

going out to shop and try this out thanks i will post tomorrow how it turned out

Having similar problems

Hello Jim, I am having similar problems as "waynejones123" and I will check your recomendations ( I am new plasmacam Ownwer/user), When I try to check the point # "6. set the height control to "calibrate on next cut" ", I can not switch it because the box is deactivated (in light grey) and do not allow to me to do it. Do you know what I am doing wrong?
    Regards, Jorge O'Mara

dross problem *HELP*

Mr.Colt,
    I saw your posting and hope that you can help me with me dross problems also.
    I purchased a Hobart 250 with built in air compresser because I have very little money to buy the bigger units and it seems this model only uses one tip which is the one that comes with it. I also have a DHC2 plasmacam that I'm having problems with also.
    I got laid off in May and I need to figure these problems out since this is now my income.
    I have sheet material ranging from 12ga. to 16ga. cold rolled.
    Any help would great.
    Thank you,

Cutting "slag" (the proper term for resolidified material that sticks to the part is dross) free can be done on sheet metal with a PlasmaCam machine.

The primary causes of dross are:

-Power level Amperage) too high
    -Wrong size nozzle orifice
    -Cut speed too slow
    -Incorrect torch to work distance (arc voltage

If you provide me with some details...material type and thickness, which model PlasmaCam machine you have (98-z, DHC, DHC2, Samson).....and which consumables you are using (part numbers...power levels etc.) Then I will help you dial it in.

For the poster that says you'll never get dross free cuts with plasma...that you need a water jet or laser....well, you can by a machine with a laser to cut sheet metal....for about $250,000, or you can buy a water jet for a little more. You probably have $12,000 in your system....and we can get it virtually dross free!

If you want to compare plasma vs water jet and laser....then you need to compare a high definition class plasma (such as Hypertherm's HPR130) mounted on a precision cutting machine.....these plasma's will cut gauge to 1" thick...vitually dross free....and on materials thicker than 3/16" will cut dramatically faster than laser and water jet, at about 1/3 the purchase price and at a much lower cost per foot of cut. Tolerances with plasma will be a bit looser...but are adequate for most applications.

Provide me with more details....and I'll help you cut dross free. I work for Hypertherm and I own a PlasmaCam DHC2 machine.

Jim Colt

Re: Plasma Cam Owner - Reducing Slag from Sheet Metal

So I have a dhc2 and am using 1/32 inch sheet steel what would work best

Re: Plasma Cam Owner - Reducing Slag from Sheet Metal

That entirely depends on what plasma cutter you intend to use. Let me know and I may be able to help! Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkong2283 View Post
    So I have a dhc2 and am using 1/32 inch sheet steel what would work best

That entirely depends on what plasma cutter you intend to use. Let me know and I may be able to help! Jim Colt
    I'm using a hypertherm with a hypertherm t45v

Re: re help

Open your Powermax operators manual to the mechanized cut charts. Listed there are the correct consumables for machine torch cutting, as well as the cutting specs (pierce height, pierce delay, cut height, arc voltage, amperage, cut speed) for a wide range of material thicknesses. These specs were developed in Hypertherm's process engineering labs and will produce cuts that are as good as possible. On 1/32" thickness the speed and cut height (controlled by arc voltage) are the mos critical parameters. Too slow and you will have dross and warpage, too high and you will have a very wide kerf, top dross and warpage. Follow the specs in the manual for best results. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Page 2 of 2 12