585,977 active members*
4,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

First Machine

Hi, I'm interested in getting a mill and giving my hand at machining. I would like to buy a functional manual mill and then possibly go cnc at a later time (maybe 6-12 monhs). I would prefer to get some learning experience with a manual mill. By trade, I work in software, so I'm thinking I could fight my way through the woes of a cnc conversion.

Size? What I would do with it?

Currently, my hobbies focus around shooting and reloading. I'm thinking I could possile mill some pistol slides/frames (who knows make my own) and also the small parts like hammers, sears, etc. These would likely be steel. I could also see doing AR-15 parts like sights, or upper receivers. Ulimately, I'm thinking detailed small parts 2"x2"x1": in steal. Larger steel pieces that are somewhere like 8x2x2, and aluminum that could be as large is 12x4x4.

Also, a lot of shooting/gun-smithing involves building one-off tools, jigs, etc. Because they are specialty, they are EXPENSIVE. I would prefer to build these myself...

I don't expect this to be a "cost-effective" solution than buying these things off-the-shelf, but I think it would be a fun learning experience.

Accuracy?

I realize that I will not get .0001" accuracy. I would like to be able to do the small stuff to at least .001", but .0005" would be better. But again, no experience here, so maybe thats a ridiculous requirement.

What to buy?

I've looked at this and other forums, and it seems like I might be interested in an X2 or X3 from either Harbor Freight or Grizzly. I live in Atlanta GA and we have a HF store local...but I believe it would be special order. What accuracy can these machines get stock and "tweaked"...

What would you buy? Why?
    How/where would you buy? Why?
    What should I expect my up cost (beyond the mill itself)to be?
    What should I expect it to cost to cnc it?

If I have to choose, I would rather be able to do one thing/size really well...I'm also very interested in bang for the buck...not so much in the bottom dollar. If I have to save for longer, that is what I would prefer to do.

Lot of questions?

What to buy??????

First of all do you have the room for a full sized machine?
    If so, I would look long and hard for either a functioning cnc machine since with the economic dowturn more of them are likely to be available.
    Next would be a cnc machine that needs a new controller. since it should have ball screws and the like, the cost of conversion is less.

I have no experiance with either machine, but from what I have read on the zone, I would go with the x3 over the x2. larger work envelope and more mass.
    When working to below .002 tolerances, it is as much the machinist as the machine. To get .0001, you have to take cutter flex and room temperature ??into account.

If you learn how to machine, you will make things that you would not consider buying.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Bassmanss,

What is your budget?

Welcome to the Zone.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

budget and size

Thanks for the replies.

Size.
    Actually, I've seen a lot of pro-size cnc for sale locally...but I really don't have room for a full size machine. Ultimately, the mill would either go in my garage, or in my basement. Also, the only place I could step up the electricity to 220AC would be in the basement, and there is no way I could get anything that won't go through a 36" door (at least and keep my marriage). I MIGHT could fit it in the garage, but how many full-size machines feed off of 110AC?

Budget.
    I probably have at least $1000 in fun money right now...and I could easily save more if it makes sense. I'm not in a hurry. I generally like to read a lot before I pull the trigger on anything this big. If I see a deal on craigslist, I might jump though...

Is there any other mills in the general size of an x3 that I should also look into?

With a little dissassembly, a bridgeport will go thru a 36" door.
    Just make sure you send the wife to the day spa so she won't flip when she sees you do it.

I have seen quite a few full sized machines in peoples basements.
    Mine are in a detached building from the house. If they were in the basement, all of the shop heat would help heat the house, instead of heating the world, once it gets out of the building.

Unless it is a real crazy setup, it shouldn't be too bad to get 220v into the garage.
    I had to trench 60 feet to get 220v into my workshop, and it took my boys and I a weekend to get it done.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Post Be prepared to triple your budget

First of all be prepared to triple your budget for the mill, cnc conversion, tooling, vise or hold downs etc...

Without a DRO you will have a very hard time making anything accurate, A stock
    X3 style mill has .005 to .020 thousandths backlash.

Instead of a DRO I would do a CNC conversion.

Checkout CNC Fusion:

http://www.cncfusion.com/smallmill1.html

There $950.00 kit is very good.

Then you will need a power supply:

http://www.antekinc.com/PS-8N70R.pdf

One Nema 34 stepper motor:
    http://www.kelinginc.net/KL34H280-45-8B.pdf

Two Nema 23 stepper motors:
    http://www.kelinginc.net/KL23H284-35-4B.pdf

Stepper drives:
    http://www.geckodrive.com/product.aspx?c=3&i=14458

Breakout board:

http://campbelldesigns.net/breakout-board.php

You will also need to purchase wire, limit / home switches , electronics enclosure and Heli-Cal zero backlash couplings.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Exclamation

If you dont purchase a kit , you will need a lathe and a mill to make the parts required to cnc the X3.

For my money I would look for a older full size CNC that needed a control retrofit.

You just cant compare a X3 to a Bridgeport style machine!

Jeff...

So what does a used full size mill cost?

Keep an eye of something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/czrphb

Jeff...

If you are looking for something in an X3 size...

https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.co...cat=253&page=1

Hope this helps,
    Pat