585,754 active members*
3,985 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EMC Jogging Too Fast

I have configured EMC via Stepconf wizard to a maximum speed of about 150in/min (2.5ips in stepconf) but when jogging (G00 Operations) the machine is trying to run at speeds over 200ipm, causing the motors to stall and trashed jobs. What gives?

Jon

Can you post your .ini and hal file?

G0 is a Rapid move not a Jog.

If your doing a move that involves both X and Y axis then the combined speed can exceed your maximum rapid speed but no axis will exceed the maximum rapid speed.

John

Hmm, I'm sorry I must be missunderstanding all the different movement types and such, I'm just a beginner.

In EMC where is the Rapid set?
    When I say that my max speed is set to 150in/min I'm referring to the settings on the individual axis setup screens in stepconf wizard. I have mine set to 2.5in/sec which should equal 150in/min, yet G0 operations result in speeds over 200 and a stalled motor.

How can I set a max for Rapid speeds?
    I know that I can set this max in Axis, right in the middle of the screen there is a slider to set this max. The problem is that the max speed for my XY vs my Z axis' are very different and what works for my XY is too fast for my Z and what is right for my Z is waaay too slow for my XY.

Thanks
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Big John T View Post
    G0 is a Rapid move not a Jog.

If your doing a move that involves both X and Y axis then the combined speed can exceed your maximum rapid speed but no axis will exceed the maximum rapid speed.

John

If X is moving at a rapid of 150 ipm, and Y is moving at 150 ipm, then the over all move will be much faster than 150, but (big but here) neither axis is going faster than the limit you set. Because movement is in both axis at once, the tool "seems" to move at a faster rate, but that is just due to the combined movements of both axis. If you are having stalling problems, then you most likely have your rapids set too high. Lower them to 100ips, or change your accel/deccel ramps and see if this helps

Quote Originally Posted by pyrojon View Post
    Hmm, I'm sorry I must be missunderstanding all the different movement types and such, I'm just a beginner.
    A jog is the type of movement made with the arrow keys. A G00 is a commanded rapid move in a program or MDI. There is a jog slider for the arrow key type movement and a feed slider for the G00 type movement. The feed slider will effect the jogs but the jog slider will not effect the g00's. Warning: I'm working in a simulated machine atm, but I THINK this holds true for a running machine.
    The problem is that the max speed for my XY vs my Z axis' are very different and what works for my XY is too fast for my Z and what is right for my Z is waaay too slow for my XY.
    That's very common and not a real problem. It is something to keep in mind if you are making certain moves in a x-z, y-z, or x-y-z plane. Just pointing out a possible future pitfall, nothing to do with the current question.

Stepconf is an semi-automated way to create a .ini file. If you went with the default it will be named mymill.ini and can be found in the emc2/configs directory. Before we had stepconf, everyone had to hand edit the ini file. The integrators manual explains the .ini file line-by-line. I think you'll find the answers there. Sorry if that comes across as rtfm, but it's time well spent.

Hope that helps in some way and feel free to ask more questions.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.