585,567 active members*
3,552 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Trim, Volume Milling

Hi

I have started learnt PRO/Manufacturing (Wildfire 4). Now I have a problem. When I create Volume Mill operation, I want to use trim tool to subtract this volume from workpiece, but PRO/E show me this message

Accuracies of the workpiece and the reference part are different.

I checked setting this parts (PRO/PART) in menu EDIT and select SETUP. PRO/E show me Menu Manager, I choose Accuracy and it's equal 0,0012 in both parts (part and workpiece). Both part have the same units.

I want to learn PRO/Manufacturing, but I can not solve this problem. Please help me. Thanks for all suggestion

Jacek

Accuracy in Pro/E is a little different than you would think. What it means when you say a part is at .0012 (default) is that it is comparing the overall envelope of the part to the smallest edge on the model. Useless I know. It means nothing. We (the users) *****ed at PTC back in the early 90's about this and the solution they came up with is "Absolute" accuracy. Think of it as "regardless of feature size". There is a .mfg file and a .asm file used in Pro/NC, go to the .asm file and select "edit" "setup" "accuracy" press escape and select absolute. It will ask you to "enter a value" or "select a model". Press "select a model" and select your reference part (the part you are machining). Select ok to regen the assembly. You have to do the same with the workpiece, once again selecting your reference model. What this does is say "I don't care how big my part envelope is, set my accuracy to xxx" Hope this helps.

jgro
    Modeling in Pro/E since 1991
    http://jgroshoppages.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your advice.
    I set accuracy with your suggestion (Edit/Setup/Accuracy =>Absolute etc) and this error disappear . I hoped it’s end of my problems with trim in PRO/Manufacturing, but now I see this message.

Cannot intersect with reference part.

Maybe I will talk something about my part. It’s two features, first feature is extrude, it’s simple cube. Second feature is extruded E-shape. This part is something like stamp. Workpiece is bigger cube of course.

I think I make mistake, when I create a Mill Volume. Reference plane is upper surface of workpiece. I try use top E-shape’s surface as reference plane to extrude the Mill Volume, but this attempt was fail. Is this problem caused by choose the reference plane while creating extrude of the Mill Volume?
    I use WildFire 4.

I can send my model to everyone, who want it. Just give me a sign, my mail is [email protected]

I hope the solution is near

Hej,

There are 3 additional things you need to consider:

1. Make sure there are no Geom Checks in your reference part. In part mode go to Info / Geometry Checks. There should be none. If there are, it could work anyways but you might consider redesigning to remove them. Changing the level of accuracy could also work, which brings us to;

2. Accuracy setting. While you should use absolute accuracy, you can try different settings. I always try to use 1e-3 but on a few occasions I'd had to change it to be less. Make certain both the reference model, the mfg and the workpiece have the same accuracy.

3. Make the protrusion bigger than the part you want to cut out.

If this doesnt work out I'd be hapopy to take a look at your model.

/J