585,753 active members*
4,559 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ProNc Milling Question

Can someone suggest ways to ensure the cutting tool does not violate the design model in ProNC Mill. I am currently using WF3 Date code M130. I have been using the ProNC software for a few years and I feel fairly proficient with most nc sequences. I do utilize the options within each nc sequence to hinder gouging at least ones I am aware of, but still get the occasional gouge. I know there are several variables that may cause gouging. But to keep my question short. Are there less some less obvious setting or tolerances I should consider? That is other then the basic nc sequence parameters or trimming the volume to the design part. Or does ProNc have inherent bugs/flaws which cause gouging?

tool gouge is not necessarily the fault of the software- we used to see it a lot until it was realized the gouge was caused by a change in direction of the cutter causing it to deflect into the part- it might be better to rough out gouge-prone geometry (eg. inside radi ) first to lessen the drag on the tool as it cuts into that area. Sorry I can't help you with ptc

I have found that ProNC generates pretty reliable code; it seems to be gouge-free all around.

Are you using solid models of your tools instead of the tool creator inside the tool manager? I have found that solid models work better. A little more time consuming initially, but once you add a tool to your library, it's there forever.

You can check gouging with ProNC. I'm not in front of my workstation, but I believe you can access it from inside the "Play Path" window. It's either there or in the same menu that you pick play path from.

laszlozoltan's comment is valid for ProNC; if you let the cutter dwell at a corner, it will gouge. I believe that ProNC has a parameter that lets you specify the minimum radius for the toolpath on an inside corner.

Hope that helps,
    Chris Kirchen

Thanks for your assistance! I have created a solid tools before but had difficulty finding the appropriate tool parameter naming to correspond to the dimension symbols. Any idea where I can find this info?
    PTC documentation is not the best resource for advanced ProNC help. I would like to find a good site/source for helpful documentation or even a reputable consultant.

Thanks again