585,567 active members*
3,308 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

5 axis and Mach - any experience?

I'm considering building a 5 axis mill for making small plastic parts. These will require continuous 5-axis motion. Obtaining CAM software will not be a problem, what I am unsure about is Mach's ability to control a machine of a particular 5-axis configuration. I understand Mach can not do axis translations. Does this mean that a trunnion table on the bed of the mill is suitable, and that a swivel-rotate spindle head is not (unless the translations are handled by the CAM)? I have seen some examples of 5-axis machines controlled by EMC, but not Mach. I would be very interested in seeing examples of Mach controlled set ups if anyone has one.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRat View Post
    I'm considering building a 5 axis mill for making small plastic parts. These will require continuous 5-axis motion. Obtaining CAM software will not be a problem, what I am unsure about is Mach's ability to control a machine of a particular 5-axis configuration. I understand Mach can not do axis translations. Does this mean that a trunnion table on the bed of the mill is suitable, and that a swivel-rotate spindle head is not (unless the translations are handled by the CAM)? I have seen some examples of 5-axis machines controlled by EMC, but not Mach. I would be very interested in seeing examples of Mach controlled set ups if anyone has one.
    Check this site. http://www.cnc-toolkit.com/gantry_router.html