586,000 active members*
5,031 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > PlasmaCam > What can a PLASMACAM do that . . .

Smile What can a PLASMACAM do that . . .

What can a PLASMACAM do that I can not do with a PlasmaRoute, EZ Router, Torchmate or any other machine . . . . . .

I know PLASMACAM builds an excellent machine & I would buy one in a heartbeat if not for the sheet metal table . . . . Yes, I know its strong, but it just does not make me feel warm and fuzzy . . . . I like to see steel . . .a lot of it . . .

Does their software allow you to do anything that others won't?

Please, do not take this as a put down for PLASMACAM . . . . I know they are the "ShopBot" of plasma cutting . . . . Great support from company and fellow users . . .

Thanks, Steve

There are quite a few things.

1. Uses ohmic contact to sense the surface of the plate before each cut. This a very accurate method of initial height sensing that allows for proper pierce height.....which dramatically increases consumable life with any plasma torch. One bad pierce can destroy a nozzle.
    2. Has the easiest to learn drawing package for cnc beginners. If you read the tutorial in the manual you can start drawing in CAD....with no experience....and be cutting parts within an hour.
    3. Easily imports .dxf files.
    4. Can hold a hand plasma if you want.....or you can mount a machine torch.
    5. Has servo motors...not steppers.
    6. Has a good warranty and great customer support. This has changed....it wasn't always this good!
    7. Is the least expensive machine with servo motors , a full functioning THC with initial height sensing, and a cad drawing package.
    8. Has built in diagnostics to test almost all components of machine through the PC.
    9. Is available in a 4 x4 version and a 5 x 10 version.
    10. Has a huge installed base of customers.

I'm sure there are other good features. I have owned a PlasmaCam for over 7 years.....just sold my first one and am installing a new right now. I will have pictures in a few days...it will have a Hypertherm Powermax45 with a machine torch.

There are a few people that knock the PlasmaCam machines due to their lightweight construction.....and due to past history where product support and warranties were almost non existent. Well the company and the machines have evolved....they are of a very clever design.....and you will be hard pressed to find PlasmaCam owners that are not happy with the product today...and there are many!

Best regards , Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    There are quite a few things.

1. Uses ohmic contact to sense the surface of the plate before each cut. This a very accurate method of initial height sensing that allows for proper pierce height.....which dramatically increases consumable life with any plasma torch. One bad pierce can destroy a nozzle.

Best regards , Jim Colt
    Does ohmic contact mean that the torch does not physically touch the material at all?

Thank you

No....it lightly touches the material before each cut....and senses ohmic (electrical conductivity) contact.....a very accurate method of sensing where the surface of the plate is.

Jim

No....it lightly touches the material before each cut....and senses ohmic (electrical conductivity) contact.....a very accurate method of sensing where the surface of the plate is.

Jim
    Have you seen Dynatorch "dash" sensing where the torch doesn't have to touch the material at all? http://dynatorch.com/DASH.htm

I would think this would be the best way to go about IHS... no? Do you know if Plasmacam offers this function?

Thanks again

Looks nice....some sort of measuring device. It looks like it takes a long time between cuts....

Jim

Looks nice....some sort of measuring device. It looks like it takes a long time between cuts....

Jim
    I noticed that also. Wonder how it works...

Most THC's today use the ohmic sensing with motor current sense as a backup. If the ohmic does not work (non conductive surface on the top of the plate...or underwater cutting) then the torch bumps the plate and the z axis motor current increase is sensed. these processes work very well....and theres no dwell time for offsets as you are sensing right at the torch. Many have used optics (laser) to sense the plate.....does not work underwater, and under smoky conditions very well.

The guys at Dynatorch can likely tell you more about it...I'm sure they have tested it under a variety of adverse conditions.

Jim