585,589 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle stop prior to tool change?

is there any way to reduce the wait for the spindle to stop for a tool change? we have a mori gv503 3 axis mill. it takes 5 seconds for the spindle to stop from 12000 rpm. if we program an m5 before the tool change, it waits for the tool to stop before moving to tool change position. no time saved there...i've heard of and our brother has a sequence that allows the spindle to be stopping on the way to change tools. is this possible?

I'm not familiar with this machine, but there are usually acceleration and deceleration parameters that can be adjusted.

If your spindle load meter is pegging during spindle stop, don't touch the decel parameters.

What control is on this machine? There may also be other parameter adjustments that could expedite this process, but without knowing the control, I can't be sure.

If that doesn't work, you may be able to change the "tool change macro" to have the spindle stopping on the way to Z-home.
    Tim

the control is an MSG 805...machine is about 10 years old. i spoke with a tech today and he said that an m1005 will ignore the signal that the tool has stopped and ignore the spindle orientation and casue the spindle to begin decel on the way to tool change position. i thought this sounded kind of risky and he agreed. seems a bit off to me. i had the programmer drop the spindle speed to 5000 with his move to safe z height before calling the m6. this seemed to help a bit. i can check the tool change macro as well and give that a shot too...

thanks all

it would be safer using an M1019. It will ignore the finish signal of the orientation while your traveling to tool change position. But it's still safe because the M6 will conduct it's own orient before changing tools. This will already be met by the time it's in position to change. There isn't a need to slow the spindle prior to this. It'll even be faster if you put the M1019 on your Z rapid line (away from the part) before you even get to the tool change position line.

steve,

on the way up from the top of the part: G0Z3.M1019 would be correct? then the line for the tool change

that's correct. depending on your rapid speeds, you may still see a dwell before the tool change occurs, but it'll still be faster than a standard tool change and the m1005.