584,837 active members*
5,452 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gas Pipe Alternative?

I noticed that a lot of beginners (like me) sometimes make their own skate-bearing slides that ride on Gas Pipe for their first machine. Some of you even get damn good performance and accuracy from that set-up.

Well, I was looking on Rockler Woodworking Supply for some new clamps - when I saw seomthing interesting. They have 48" zinc plated steel pipe for their clamps (threaded on one end) for $19 a pair. Price doesn't seem too bad, so I thought maybe it could be a good alternate for gas pipe for bearing-guides or even an oiled slide with a delrin sleeve? Looks like they are the same diameter of gas pipe?

Any thoughts? Anyone have these or similar? Would they hold up to the abuse?

JavaDog,
    To ME, zinc plating is the same as galvanized pipe! And depending on the process used to plate or coat the pipe, it MIGHT be possible the plating would flake or wear off due to the repeated movement of the bearing back and forth along it.

In other words, it sounds like expensive galvanized pipe:})

Just my .015 worth.

Bubba

I have a panel saw I built 10 years ago, with rollerblade bearings on 2"EMT (galvanized). Although it doesn't see the use a CNC router would, it doesn't show any signs of wear at all.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Well, it seemed to me that the surface would be smoother than gas-pipe, which would (IMO, I may be wrong) make it better suited for delrin slides?

I mean, it's not Chrome Rod - but it's also only $19 for a pair of 48in "rails". Gas-pipe is cheaper, but all the gas pipe I have seen has a really crappy surface on it.

I had a chance to compare the gas pipe to the galvanized pipe side by side. The galvanized is much smoother so is being used in the router I'm building.

[QUOTE=JavaDog;59722]Well, it seemed to me that the surface would be smoother than gas-pipe, which would (IMO, I may be wrong) make it better suited for delrin slides?

I mean, it's not Chrome Rod - but it's also only $19 for a pair of 48in "rails". Gas-pipe is cheaper, but all the gas pipe I have seen has a really crappy surface on it.[/QUOTE

Why not chrome closet rod !! Home depot carries it its just not in any place you would expect to find it they seem to hide it in a differant place in each store its smooth as a babys bottom strong enough to hold up a full wardrobe of your average "I don't have a thing to Wear" princess comes in lengths of up to 8 feet sure its a couple of pennys more but its ready to go no gouges ,dings bends etc I work with pipe and thats what I would use for round rod bearing setup the main name I see is "lido designs" may be others

8' CHROME CLOSET ROD $37.99
    Lido Designs Model: LB-10-A106/8

here is a link to a online source.
    http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageID=64&SKU=257273

Galvanizing V Zinc Plating

FYI galvanizing and zinc plating are the same thing. The big difference is the method of application, hot dipping (melt the zinc and dip steel part into it) OR electroplating, electric current dissolves the zinc into a conductive solution, it bonds with the steel. Hot dipping generally results in a rougher finish (think decking/roofing nails)

good info, but original post is six years old, and last post is four.

CNCzone is timeless. GOOD post, GOOD info!
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson