585,898 active members*
5,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Thermal Dynamics Fine Cut Consumables?

I'm looking at a used plasma table with a Thermal Dynamics 151 with a machine torch. I will be doing a lot of 16ga steel sheet work and wanted to know if they offer fine cut consumables like Hypertherm does? Part numbers or links would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

They have some lower powered consumables that will cut better on thin materials.....but not consumables with high energy density like the Hypertherm Fine Cuts. The Fine Cuts have technology that was learned fro m Hypertherm's patented HyDefinition plasma systems that provide higher energy density at the arc....for better quality on thin materials.

Talk to the guys at Thermal directly....they may have something that will work with that system.

Jim Colt

Hi Jim,

I was hoping I'd see you in here. I was originally planning on going with a Hypertherm 1200 or 1000 until I found this plasma table locally. I may sell the Thermal Dynamics plasma that comes with the table and replace it with a new Hypertherm...

Thermal Dynamics web site is difficult to navigate and it doesn't look like they have info on the 151 anymore but I'll try to find a number to call and ask them directly.

Thanks for responding!

Just got off the phone with Thermal Dynamics. Looks like they don't have consumables specifically for fine cuts but they do offer 20 & 30 amp consumables that have a kerf width of about 0.020" They said the consumables would practically need to be dragging on the material and I should use a roller ball type hold down / stand off. For anyone wondering, the part numbers are:
    20A: 9-8205
    30A: 9-8206

Jim, how close do you need to be from the tip of the torch to the material using Hypertherm's fine cut consumables? What's the range of amps you can use and how wide is the kerf?

Thank you

The Hypertherm fine cuts run pretty close to the plate...on stainless steel they should be at .010", and on mild steel and aluminum about .080". the current range is from 30 to 50 amps.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    The Hypertherm fine cuts run pretty close to the plate...on stainless steel they should be at .010", and on mild steel and aluminum about .080". the current range is from 30 to 50 amps.

Jim Colt
    Wow, 0.010" on stainless is close! Can most THC keep that distance or do you need to use some type of physical stand off? So on 16ga mild steel it would be about 0.080" from the plate?

A good quality THC will work fine....it needs to have the ability to control arc voltage to 1 volt. Many claim they can do it....few actually can do it! You can cut higher...but best cut quality is almost dragging on the plate on stainless.....and the quality is very good!

Yes.....080" on mild steel.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    A good quality THC will work fine....it needs to have the ability to control arc voltage to 1 volt. Many claim they can do it....few actually can do it! You can cut higher...but best cut quality is almost dragging on the plate on stainless.....and the quality is very good!

Yes.....080" on mild steel.

Jim
    Thanks Jim, you've been a great help!

I can attest to everything Jim says, had some trouble with them in the beginning, but after a little coaching from Jim and others, they cut great, when you are ready, I'm sure we can help you.
    Chip Coale

Actually if you use the available "ohmic" shield when using the Fine Cut parts....it extends a few thousandths of an inch beyond the nozzle...and you can drag cut or have occasionall contact with the plate without a problem. Just be sure piercing is done at about 1/8" or so off the plate...then index down to the recomended cut height. With good smooth motion control the cut quality is phenomenal....not quite as good as a high definition industrial plasma...but pretty close.

Jim