585,715 active members*
4,017 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mazak, Mitsubishi, Mazatrol > Mitsubishi TRA41 servo Drives - interface help please

Mitsubishi TRA41 servo Drives - interface help please

Hi

i have a Mitsubishi Meldas control with Mitsubishi TRA41 servo drives and motors.
    i have managed to sort out all the Pin numbers and names on the ZP1 connector see the attachment below.
    Solid lines indicate the bridge pins with in the socket (wire linked over)
    B-linked is hard linked on the servo board its self.
    NC on its own indicated a Not Connected pin

What i am having problems with is the way on which you need to interface and talk to the drive to enable it etc. as the M0 manual does not tell us this information,
    do i need apply a 24v in or pull it to 0v on SV on (servo on) pin, and also NC ready pin?
    right in saying SV on will turn on the drive, while NC ready will enable the output of drive and let it accept an analogue command

is the Alarm output a 24V out or does it go low when there is an alarm state? this i can find out when i get drives powered up but will be handy to know before hand.

i have garbed the maintenance manual from Mitsubishi website, but this has same info as the M0 maintenance manual i already have. unless there is enough manual.

Thank you for your time.
    robert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TRA41.jpg  

Robert,

What are you trying to do? Doesn't this drive work with the M0 control? Does it give some alarm. Not sure why you are trying to do what ever it is your trying to do.

Regards,

Chippy

hi, it is for a retro fit so just wanted to confirm what is needed to enable the drive etc in terms of signals

robert

Hi Robert

Just stumbled across this thread. I'm in the same boat - retrofit on a machine with TRA41 servo amps. At the same point as you - trying to sort out logic on the same connector.

Mine's still a working machine and so I should be able to sort it out in a week or so. Have you made any progress since your last post?

I've got the TRA41 maintenance manual plus a couple of others if you're interested.

Steve

Hi scnsc

i have now got the drives working and all sorted out
    theres still life in the old things yet

ill amend my docs and reup them here for you to take alook at.

i did get the maintenance and repare manuals from mitsubishi website but they do not provide quite the right information, unlike there VFD manual i found for my spindle drive which told us everything we need to know and more!

Hi

please please use my info as a starting point only and check your ZP1 and other connections before taking my info for granted

here is my current pin arangement i just have to check on my notes which i dont have here for the input for SV on and NC ready, to check how you address them before i make it public.

im still not sure on the SC Error Correct,
    not sure if this a reset input to reset drive errors or what, it is at zero volts when drive is on and off is not needed to boot the drives up or run them.

AL Alarm,
    again not sure here, i would have a stab and say this is the drive error signal out, how it works im not sure, i belive its 24V as it comes from the relays on top of the boards, where svon etc is so i would guess it becomes 24V in an alarm state not had a change to test it out yet

all other pins i belive to be correct, but please please use my info as a starting point only and check your ZP1 and other connections before taking my info for granted

all numbers in the ZP1 are the pin socket on servo drive its self.
    Pin name and name are from the manuals for the control and service manuals for reference use.

New pins, this is the new connector i put on the end of the ZP1 as i could not get hold of any of the connectors to wire up a new plug, i just made an adapter lead.

Functions & meanins
    these are what and how to address each pin pritty much

Phsical links
    these are for reference, these are the hardwire links on top of the ZP1 plug connector you may or maynot have them i dont know, but as u will see most pins are doubled up for use of twisted pair cable etc.

Thanks for the updated pinouts - very helpful.

From your other post it looks like you kept the resolvers on the machine to keep the tacho inputs into the servo drive, and you added encoders to the ballscrews for input into EMC2. Is this right? Did this work out OK?

One more thing - with regard the analog input to the servo drive (ER signal), I measure this to be +/- 1.00V for full jog speed in fwd/reverse. I expected this to be a larger voltage (ie +/-10V or similar). Is this what you got, or not?

Thanks again
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by scnsc View Post
    Thanks for the updated pinouts - very helpful.

From your other post it looks like you kept the resolvers on the machine to keep the tacho inputs into the servo drive, and you added encoders to the ballscrews for input into EMC2. Is this right? Did this work out OK?
    yes you need to keep tacho inputs for drive, we left it all on the end of the motor as otherwise be a pain to take unit apart for no reason,
    then u can take the taco feedback right back into the drive if it does not go there already.

our M0 control tool the tac into the axis boards, but passed it right through back to the drive, resolvers is what it used.

which control do you have on there now?

we fitted encoders onto the end of the screw as you say, picking them up off ebay cheap over time while we got other things ready. so worked out cheap and there is no problem at all infact you get to see what ballscrew is doing and not what the motor is doing so on paper you get a more true machine reading

what control are you fitting out on your machine?

Quote Originally Posted by scnsc View Post
    One more thing - with regard the analog input to the servo drive (ER signal), I measure this to be +/- 1.00V for full jog speed in fwd/reverse. I expected this to be a larger voltage (ie +/-10V or similar). Is this what you got, or not?

Thanks again
    Steve
    would depend on your machine rapid speed, and rate of job you did
    if you worked it all back out then yes maybe 1v = the job speed u chose.
    if you have the same motors we do, they are 2000rpm, but on blet drive 2:1 so screw does 1000rpm and it 10mm pitch, which gives us 10m/min

max for us is 10v = full motor speed, i dont think these drives can be setup so 9v = full motor speed etc id have to read manual again to check, you could command control to do some rapid moves back and forward see what it peaks at

Hi kudos

The current control is a Meldas 83A, 1983 vintage. I'll be retrofitting with EMC2. The mill is an OKK horizontal.

It's a bit hard to fit encoders to the ballscrews on the mill, because the vertical axis uses a fixed screw and rotating nut. Instead, I think I'll install the encoders between the resolver and the motor. I'll make up an adaptor that takes the encoder & bolts onto the motor on one side, and takes the resolver on the other side.

When you get a sec and have access to your notes, I wouldn't mind a bit more information on how you dealt with the SVON and READY signals on the amplifiers. On my machine, SVON and READY goes to high when power is applied to the cards, then they both go LOW after a few seconds when the cards are ready (ie when 3 green lights on the cards).

It's the switching back to LOW that I don't understand. I would have guessed SVON to stay high from the start, then READY to perhaps go to high after a few seconds then stay there.

The machine is still working, so it's not a fault with the cards or system.

Anyway, if you have any more information on how you drove these signals, that would be great.

Thanks very much
    Steve

Hi steve

i just had a look, here is what process is

give the servo drive its 24v and = - 12v at same time u would turn on the power switch to the machine, so drives can "power" up as such.

then the svon and nc ready will come high as u say.
    these need to be pulled down to the 24v gnd signal soruce. through a relay or how ever you wish to do this.
    my svon is from estop relay on a contract and coil arm.
    while ncready is from machine on relay side of things. so if i hit estop drives will drop out no matter what, and drives can no power up fully until emc gives a nc ready out

once both signals are taken to gnd drives will enable and start taking in analog signals etc.
    be ready to hit that estop if they take off etc

hope this maeks abit more clear

robert

Hi Robert

Fantastic, thanks for that. Ties in with what I'm observing.

Thanks for your help
    Steve

hi steve

no problem im glad i could help, if you need anythink else give us a showt happy to help where i can.

robert

what hardware are you using to supply the +/- 10v analogue from emc2?

Mesa 5I20 card, using two of these as i have a 4th axis fitted to the mill also now,

here is there website
    http://www.mesanet.com/

using the 7I33 board to conver 5I20 output to analog with encoder input in quad mode
    and the 7I37 for the IO interfaces.

using the HM2 drive under EMC2

robert

Am Simon
    I have found the wiring diagram very helpful. Thank you very much.
    What about the tacho generator pins ?

Hi i have my meldas m0 with this drivers but the main board doesn't respond, so I want to use the drivers using this pin out. Can I? Some one have already use it ? I have read about The mesanet components what is the meaning of hm2 and emc2

After a vera short reading I'm planing to use the following materials:
    -A PCI express parallel card for the PC
    Conected to
    -A C10 parallel breakout board
    Connected to
    -A IDC50 breakout board
    Connected to
    -The mesanet 7I33
    Connected to
    -The TRA41 in the analog+input pin that you suggest.

And use Mach3

I'm right with my structure?

Re: Mitsubishi TRA41 servo Drives - interface help please

Quote Originally Posted by kudos View Post
    our M0 control tool the tac into the axis boards, but passed it right through back to the drive, resolvers is what it used. t
    Very late to this discussion (found as part of a search for info for someone else doing a retrofit) but it is worth knowing that there is now a very effective resolver interface board (7i49) for the Mesa FPGA cards, now fully supported by LinuxCNC. I am using it with my milling machine and I am extremely happy with the performance (in fact I will probably seek out resolvers in preference to encoders in future)

The only wrinkle is that the Mesa card expects to be providing the excitation voltage to the resolver. If the servo drive also uses the resolver feedback (for commutation, perhaps, but only likely on a brushless motor) then there might be a conflict.

Another option is the Pico-systems standalone resolver-to-quadrature converter.

I will also mention (while I am here) that there is a LinuxCNC HAL component that can convert encoder or resolver position information into emulated Hall signals for drives that require that (also no relevant to a DC motor system as being discussed)

Re: Mitsubishi TRA41 servo Drives - interface help please

Re-controlling a Mazak VQC 15/40 with TRA31 amps with LinuxCNC / Mesa boards. Your pinouts are very helpful ... Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SRDC View Post
    Re-controlling a Mazak VQC 15/40 with TRA31 amps with LinuxCNC / Mesa boards. Your pinouts are very helpful ... Thank you!
    do you mean TRA31 has exactly the same pinouts as TRA41?

I got TRA31 and TRA61 Amps on traub lathe, and i am trying to interface them with a new controller.