584,808 active members*
5,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Who make the best linear bearings and rail?

Smile Who make the best linear bearings and rail?

Who make the best linear bearings and rail?

I have also noticed that the linear bearings and rail on most of the plasma tables I have seen from the turn key builders and individuals are mounted in a vertical plane for the "X & Y" axis.

Is there any reason not to design a table mounting these in a horizontal plane. I can see where this may make things more difficult on the"X" axis. My impression from HIWIN is horizontal is preferred . . .

I can't see where they would be any safer from damage running along the side of the table . . .

Just trying to get all this lined out before I start detail design . . .

Thank in advance . . .
    Steve

If your table is going to be for plasma, ox/fuel use only I'd recommend you stay away from the recirculating ball type of linear rail on your long axis. Mainly because it's not needed at all. The simple V bearing & rail is more than accurate enough. Also there is no lubrication required between the bearing & rail. Think about it..... Oil on exposed surfaces + plasma grit = valve grinding compound!!!!!

http://www.parkeroriga.com/pdf_catal...ear_Guides.pdf Would be my first choice in linear rail for the gantry. Again the bearings are sealed. Along with wipers & scrapers available on the casette to keep the rail cleaned of grit. They also offer caps to seal off the area above the rail mounting bolts so garbage can not collect in the countersunk mounting holes. I'm pretty sure this is the same rail/bearing casette Torchmate uses on their machines. If not the same it's the same design.

I am currently replacing a 1700MM piece of IKO linear rail & bearings (gantry) on my table. It's service life has only been a little over a year. Even though I bought sealed bearing cartriges I could not keep grit from entering the bearings. I am using the Parker rail for replacement. My table does get used daily in an industrial environment though.

http://www.pacific-bearing.com/IntegralVTechnology.aspx This also looks to me to be a good choice for a plasma table gantry especially the Integrated rail on the 8020 alum extrusion. The price is also very good on these products.

Just my 2 cents

happy building & keep us posted
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Smile I'm looking at these guys . . .

http://www.hiwin.com/html/lg/hg.html

I spoke to a tech /rep today @ HIWIN. He said several of the "Big Iron" guys use these for their XY & Z . . . .

Thanks
    Steve

That's what I was told too. I seen plenty of others using it also. That still didn't make it the "correct choice" for me.

I didn't have caps for the rail mounting bolts & likely that is where at least some of the contamination entered the bearings.

I have recently had a close up look at a large Dynatorch. They use recirculating ball linear rail on their gantry. Holes are capped & the rail is directly on top of the gantry.

All I can say is: It hasn't worked well for me.

Neil
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Smile You have my attention . . .

"The simple V bearing & rail is more than accurate enough. Also there is no lubrication required between the bearing & rail."

I just priced HIWIN . . . . I think you have my attention now. Please enlighten me as to the merits and sources for V bearings & rail . . . .

Thanks, sometimes I tend to want to over engineer something . . . .

Thanks . . . .
    Steve

Hiwin Rail and Blocks.

Hi Steve,
    Just in case you havn't heard of these folks, they bought all of Hiwins old inventory rail and Medium and Heavy Duty Blocks. The prices are really good ( when you compare them to other outlets. They are brand new old stock. Mine will arrive next week for my conversion. Just something for you to check out. My 25mm blocks are under 40 bucks ea, I couldn't pass it up for that price. Anyway, just some more info to help in your decision.
    Good Luck, Blake

http://www.automation-overstock.com/...ies.asp?cat=56