585,712 active members*
4,335 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > CNC (Mill / Lathe) Control Software (NC) > Make setup sheets directly from your CNC programs and print them in Excel

Make setup sheets directly from your CNC programs and print them in Excel

Dear CNC programmers,
    you can make setup sheets directly from your CNC machining programs and print them into MS Excel with the new CNC Scan program. You can chose options to read tool descriptions (comments), tool length offsets, tool radius, maximum z depth reached by the tool in the program. For free demo download visit www.cncplusplus.com
    Regards,
    Zdenek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC_Scan_Excel.gif  

As I recall while in Excel you can open a text [CNC] file and depending on the consistancy in formatting of your tool change statements you can get a decent listing without anything special being added. So I guess I am curious what is the catch with this?

You can open a text file [CNC program] in Excel, but you can't make this setup sheet format directly - you would have to make lot of editing to get the setup sheet readable for operators - so this program saves you time, unless you have all your CNC programs done in a CAM system, which makes a setup sheet for you. This program is just a quick way to make setup sheets from as many programs as you like with one click - if you have no other means to do it otherwise. Saves time and makes it easy for programmers and operators. Not every machine shop has a CAM system and especially "jobbing shops" may find it useful. This is the main purpose of the program at this stage.
    Regards,
    Zdenek

Here is an example of our files

The header contained tool number and diameter plus all features to be drilled

O4203 (T709162 8.5 DRILL 842,732,731,734,735)
    N10 G21 G0 G90 G94 G80 G40 G49 G17 (H 4-OCT-2004 13:18)
    N20 M606 T709162 B0. C2.
    N30 G54 M26
    N40 G65 P1014 B0.
    N50 G0 G43 X33.572 Y469.4 Z450. B0. S8965 H1 M3 M8 T709156
    N60 Z428.326
    N70 G1 Z396.57 F2540
    N80 G0 Z450.
    N90 G65 P1014 B180.
    N100 G0 X-35.072 Y504.7 Z68. B180. M263
    N110 Z27.68 M264
    N120 G1 Z-4.08 F2540
    N130 G0 Z38.68
    N140 Y436.4
    N150 Z27.68
    N160 G1 Z-4.08 F2540
    N170 G0 Z27.68
    N180 X-15.572 Y431.7
    N190 X82.428 Y393.4 Z-49.
    N200 G1 Z-80.59 F2540
    N210 G0 Z-49.
    N220 X114.428 Y431.7
    N230 G1 Z-80.59 F2540
    N240 G0 Z-49.
    N250 X82.428 Y483.4
    N260 G1 Z-80.59 F2540
    N270 G0 Z42. M319
    N280 G91 G30 X0. Y0. Z0. M554 M558
    N290 G90 M99
    (N30 DRILL 832)
    (N90 DRILL 732)
    (N140 DRILL 731)
    (N180 DRILL 733)
    (N220 DRILL 734)
    (N250 DRILL 735)
    M99

Comments are placed after the M99 for cycle time reasons but detail what block is drilling a specific feature. The tool lists as you describe it was done in tool paths in the tool rooms but in the production environment comments were removed from the body of the program. The begining of the program told us everything we needed to know. But for a prototype/ tool room application it would seem to be useful to put into Excel. We did not want the production CNC operators wasting their time reading stuff, just run the machine ;-)

??? demo reklame eller hvad

Yes, you are right, the machine should be runninig and opeator should have an easy to read setup sheet - this is the reason I made the program.
    In your case the operator can read the tools at the end of the program - but the programmer must put those comments there (am I right?) and not all info about tools is there - tool raduis offset number, legth offset number, length of the tool (max depth reached). So the programmer must add those comments manually there? And if you have lot of tools? I can send you a full version (enabled for few days, then it locks into demo) if you wish, you can test it and see if it is any good for you. Just looking at your example program - there is a date next to the tool - you would have to move this above the tool comment, otherwise it would appear as the tool comment. The full new version can read the CNC programs and make a tool list - this is the list of tools involved in the programs and list all the parts where the tool is used -for machining centres so you know the frequency of each tool used on the parts of your interest.
    It depends what system you use for programming - if you have a CAM system, this should make the setup sheet for you automatically, but if you make programs manually or if you have some old programs, then it is problem.

Regards,
    Zdenek

Yes, you are right, the machine should be runninig and opeator should have an easy to read setup sheet - this is the reason I made the program.

For the tool room applications I agree.

In your case the operator can read the tools at the end of the program - but the programmer must put those comments there (am I right?)

No, the file I have shown was completely formated at run time by the postprocessing tool.
    Operators are not allowed to modify the CNC code

and not all info about tools is there - tool raduis offset number, legth offset number, length of the tool (max depth reached).

This is not a concern of the operator, it is the concern of the process engineer and setup person. Tape file values match the part print, operators to not alter machine's tape files.

So the programmer must add those comments manually there?

<I>Nope, it is done by a postprocessor</I>

And if you have lot of tools?

<I>There is a job instruction sheet that is created and in note book beside the machine the process engineer, setup man, and operator can reference.</I>

I can send you a full version (enabled for few days, then it locks into demo) if you wish, you can test it and see if it is any good for you. Just looking at your example program - there is a date next to the tool - you would have to move this above the tool comment, otherwise it would appear as the tool comment.

<I> No but thanks for the offer, I am no longer programming CNCs but still enjoy reading about what is going on out there. Spent about 10 years in production environment and prior to that worked in a prototype tool room. Two very distinctly different environments</I>

The full new version can read the CNC programs and make a tool list - this is the list of tools involved in the programs and list all the parts where the tool is used -for machining centres so you know the frequency of each tool used on the parts of your interest.

<I>Used UG's system and ICAM's post processing tool and it worked out nicely for both the production and prototype tool rooms. The post could easily be customized to create some rather elaborate tool lists for the prototype guys and also different posts would run lean and mean for us. You know, rapid all three or four axes to 3 mm off the part and engage feed ;-)</I>

It depends what system you use for programming - if you have a CAM system, this should make the setup sheet for you automatically, but if you make programs manually or if you have some old programs, then it is problem.

<I>who makes them manually, ha ha ha</I> ;-)

That's OK, if you have a UG, you certainly have everything you need to manage the workshop, you do not need Excel setup sheets, but stil it is handy for the operator to have a list of tools with all descriptions. (Drill 842 does not tell everything about what it is). This CNC Scan is an option.
    I worked (not any more) in a company programming machining centers and the most important task was having tools under control so that the operator did not have to change the ATC between jobs and the machine could run unmanned over night. In this case we had to group machining parts so that they could be machined with the tools in the ATC. The opeator set the machine (with the pallet pool) and the ATC before night and the machine run unmanned. That's why I believe a good tool database is so important. But every machine shop has its own ways how to manage the life, and the production.
    HTML Code:
    <I>who makes them manually, ha ha ha</I> ;-)
    Still there are many small workshops not having a CAM system, conversational programming is quite good on some machines (Mazaks, Heidenhan as an example). This is just from my experience.
    Regards,
    Zdenek