585,933 active members*
3,878 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Linear bearings and rail?

Who make the best linear bearings and rail?

I have also noticed that the linear bearings and rail on most of the plasma tables I have seen from the turn key builders and individuals are mounted in a vertical plane for the "X & Y" axis.

Is there any reason not to design a table mounting these in a horizontal plane. I can see where this may make things more difficult on the"X" axis. My impression from HIWIN is horizontal is preferred . . .

I can't see where they would be any safer from damage running along the side of the table . . .

Just trying to get all this lined out before I start detail design . . .

Thank in advance . . .
    Steve

Horizontal is preferred for most of the linear trucks. (Rails dont care.) You can see in the specs for the rails what the force ratings are in each of the axis in newtons. Horizontal almost always takes the most force. There are many trucks that will take the loads vertical too, and we must use these for our Z axis. I would say whichever way you want to design your machine, go ahead, then find the appropriately rated trucks/rails. Understanding the specs is a must, but it's simple enough.

I think NSK, THK & HIWIN are the most common that I run accross, and they each make great rails. So do many others. But they all market a wide range of them, you get what you pay for.