585,698 active members*
3,482 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Hardinge Superslant SB3 GN 3 Axis Lower Turret

Hardinge Superslant SB3 GN 3 Axis Lower Turret

:drowning:The lower turret on my Lathe extends but does not rotate possible bad solenoid valve, air motor weak, and FEED Hold stays on. Loooking for suggestion for replacement parts or board in turret.

Superslant turret

The air motors are sometimes trouble, especially if contamination has been a problem in your air. The motors themselves are pretty simple, but the planetary gears attached to them make them a somewhat expensive unit. You can remove the unit and blow air into it to check it.

I think we have a good used one in stock.

Warren

www.uptimecorp.com

Smile

Thank you for the information. I will first replace the soleniod once I find where they can be purchased. When I had the air motor off it did rotate but does not seem to have power to rotate when attached and there is a slight playwhen attached so I do not think it is bound up. What would the cost be for the air motor if you were to sell it. I am a small one person shop so I must keep my repairs minimal and wait for the right time.

We just bought a hardinge superslant sb 3 gn 1986. We had to convert it to a 230 from a 460 to power it on. After using jumpers to convert it, we powered it on and it came on. However, we have an alarm that wont let the x axis move or anything for that matter. The alarm is 2008 x axis brake is on not ready. Help!!!!! We got a wiring diagram from Johnson electric coil company and there engineer told us how to convert it. Don't know if it was right, but it did power up fine and the phasing seems to be correct cause the fans are going in the right direction.

Cool Need Help

I found out if you have not already that the coolant pump and the hydraulic pump need to be rewired for 230 V Also step up the heater on te main main relays. and double you fuse size. I had to get most of the with several call to Hardinge. Good luck and use the right hydraulic oil.

I guess my question would be if the coolant pump and hydraulic pump are working, do i still need to rewire it?

I had too. I checked with Hardinge Brother and they were very helful. The pumps may work if they were wired through a transformer. It will depend on how the machine was setup. I had to rewire both pumps. I also ordered all the drawings from them.

I got a lot of information from Hardinge tech service on line. They will connect you with people that know the machine fairly well.

I am in the LA,CA area. No one here knew the machine.

Martin,
    You have been of super help. We did wire everything through the transformer. I believe that's all we did as far as converting it over to a 230V. I got the wiring diagram for the transformer from Johnson Electric and they told us how to jump it. We have learned no that we can jiggle the air brake solenoid and make the alarm go off then we get a 410 x servo on the top turret and 401 servo on the bottom and then we get the brake alarm again. still nothing ever moves.

our hardinge sb3gn slantbed is a 86? is your close to mine. All i have is a parts list was wondering if you had any info in your manuals?

can you call me 662-298-1500 or if you can't call long distant can i call you

well you were definately right about rewiring the pumps, but we are still getting the 2008 x axis brake is on not ready. Did we need to do anything else?

Mine is about the same year I believe. I have not worked on it for a while. I do this part time only and business has been very limited so I have not gotten back to this machine in over 6 months. I had an error maybe the same. I think you need to talk to Hardinge. I think it is a simple thing that comes on and needs to be reset. THey have not charged for talking. My machine is waiting for my TLC and the lower turret still did not work.

I wish i could call Hardinge. I have tried several times, but always get Morris South and they can't seem to help. I am about to pull my hair out! No support these days.

I did a lot through email so this was one of the contact people. [email protected]

Just called hardinge back again. they don't support this machine anymore bc of age. If you could remember when you had this problem was it resting parameter 124. Someone did tell me i have have to reset parameter 124 to 0 if it was over 40

Great!!!!! he called me immediately! He gave us a list of stuff to check. Sounds promising. You have no idea how much you helped. I haven't been able to get any support. The direct contact info. was very helpful. You must be very organized to still have his contact info. Thanks so so so so much. Keep you posted.

I never got the machine up and running in production, I was able to run it through a cycle once i put in a simple program but would not continue to run. And then I put in the wrong viscosity hydraulic oil. I just got new oil a couple of weeks ago so I can drain and try it again or the pump is shot. Sorry I do not think I can be of additonal help.

I know thye did not support the machine but some of the old guys would suggest different things to try. I was close but no cigar.

well actually you may be of help one last time and i will quit bothering you. You said something about the hydraulic oil. My boss didn't order any special he went to the tractor supply and bought hydraulic tractor oil could that be out problem the whole time ?

the heater we have now keeps shutting off. What size did you get? Ours is a 46 watt. oh you replaced fuses too didn't you.Sorry to keep bothering you. This is the last time i promise.