585,992 active members*
5,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Leblond/Makino FNC 74 w/Fanuc 6M

Hello all, this is my first post. So I'm totally new to this machine, Makino FNC74. The guy that ran it before me passed away and I was brought in to get it running. I've ran Haas, Fadal, Kitamura and Bridgeports w/no problems. This one's special. For one it's ancient, it's even got a tape reader.

Anyway, I've found a few of it's quirks all by trial and error and by searching this board. The tool changer is funky but I was able to figure it out. So now I'm pretty sure I got it, but there's a couple of issues I'm not to clear on. For one, how do you set your z tool length offsets, or all your offsets for that matter? I think I got the (01) G54 but I'm not exactly sure. When I try to set the z offsets, it seems to work, however some tools when they retract, don't stop at z0 and they over-travel, setting off the trip, thus getting an alarm. Also the machine has a "absolute" button. When it's on, it totally ignores the offsets and goes to another set of numbers. When I turn it off, everything's fine. Do you set your tools w/this button on? I do all my programming in absolute (G90) so to me it makes sense to have it on.

I'd like to hear from someone who uses this same machine or similar, and would like to know how you typically set it up to run your part program. I'm using Gibbscam w/a generic Fanuc 6M post. Thanks in advance for your responses.

HI. I have a leblond Makino 64 at work, and I'm bound and determined to get it working in DNC mode so my boss can sleep at night. I can't seem to convince it to work in DNC mode, although i can send programs to the memory (in small doses) and have it run them. Not sure how Tape mode is supposed to work.
    If you have any clues as to how to run this robot in DNC mode, I'd be mighty grateful.

Paul C
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada

Fanuc 6M

The Fanuc 6 is a great control. I hope you can find an operator's manual (they're out there) so you can come to appreciate some if its features. First, set the Manual Absolute switch in the position where it works and leave it alone. I can cause all kinds of grief and was only put there to assist in setting up fixture position. Second, it sounds like you may have confused work coordinate offsets (G54,etc.) with tool length offsets. They are on different screens.

As for DNC, this control will NOT drip feed through the serial port. It will only load programs into memory from the port. It can, however, drip through the tape reader port if you have one of the many "Behind the Reader" interfaces that are available.

Warren
    www.uptimecorp.com

Quote Originally Posted by WGoyer View Post
    The Fanuc 6 is a great control. I hope you can find an operator's manual (they're out there) so you can come to appreciate some if its features. First, set the Manual Absolute switch in the position where it works and leave it alone. I can cause all kinds of grief and was only put there to assist in setting up fixture position. Second, it sounds like you may have confused work coordinate offsets (G54,etc.) with tool length offsets. They are on different screens.

As for DNC, this control will NOT drip feed through the serial port. It will only load programs into memory from the port. It can, however, drip through the tape reader port if you have one of the many "Behind the Reader" interfaces that are available.

Warren
    www.uptimecorp.com

WHat do you mean by 'behind the reader' ????

Behind the Reader interface

A "Behind the Reader" interface (or BTR) board is installed, for all intents and purposes, in place of the Punched paper tape reader. It allows a computer to take the place of the punched tape that used to be widely used to enter the part programs.

The one we've sold for many years is made by Advanced Digital Research (www.adrco.com).

Warren
    www.uptimecorp.com