584,826 active members*
5,174 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Education - Teachers and Students Hangout > How to setup, 6x2.5x.5 stock in Milling Machine

Smile How to setup, 6x2.5x.5 stock in Milling Machine

I have been trying to get my CNC Milling Machine to Cut my Gcode that I sent to it from MasterCam X2. Everytime I start the program in the Prolite mill I am not in the center of the work piece in the Vise...
    My Question is:
    How do I setup my work piece that is 6"long 2.5" wide and 1/2" thick.
    I used an Edge Finder at the Top LEFT of the work piece...
    I Zeroed out X axis when the edge finder was on Center.
    I moved to the Top of the Y axis and did the same zeroed Y.
    I put a piece of paper on top of the piece and put Z axis down till it wouldnt allow me to move the Paper out, I Zeroed Z axis.

I go to cut and all the cuts are on the Lower Half of the piece. NOT CENTERED.

What am I doing Wrong????
    I dont know if this is the right area for posting if not Please point me in the directions... Thank you!

in mastercam x2 when you create your geomatry then you do your toolpath. are you sure your origin (x0,y0) is in the right spot. I dont know how familiar you are with mastercam, but try checking the VERIFY BUTTON and if it looks good on there then when you post it it should cut the same .
    hope this help

Hopefuly I can explain,

You must set the machine's stock origin to the same point as you have the stock set in Mastercam

It appears that you set your actual stock on the machine to the UPPER- LEFT corner.
    In mastercam, your WSC axis lines should cross at the same point as your setup

Nearly all X values posted should be positive, and Y values are negative
    ie X3. Y-1.75 ( should be stock material centre )

Suggestions only
    X0 Y0 Z0 should be centre and top of part. no part feature should be higher than zero.
    This way, any Z-ive, is cutting material , Z+ive is safe ( general sense of the word )
    X0 Y0 being part centre and you set machine to stock centre ( any small fluctuations in stock size is not a major concern )

Try creating a standard or proceedure of job setting, and additional data that normally is required that should be stored with the NC code ( say, as part of a header )
    example
    Code:
    (Material         = 4140 )
    (Stock Size       = X6.0 Y2.5 Z0.5 ) ( size and orientation on machine )
    (Machine Setup    = 6" Vice -Bison )
    (Parallels used   = 6" x 0.5"" x 2.25" high )
    (Material Held By = 0.100" )
    (Material Above Jaws = 0.400 ) ( 0.35 Min.)
    ()
    ( #1 Datum )( @ A0. )
    ( X = Stock Centre )
    ( Y = Stock Centre )
    ( Z = Top Face Minus 0.010" )
    ()
    ( #2 Datum )( @ A90. )(t/ball = 1/2" dia x 1/2" high )
    ( X = Tooling Ball centre )
    ( Y = Tooling Ball centre )
    ( Z = Tooling Ball centre )
    another option - Z datum set to top, centre of holding device

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Hopefuly I can explain,

You must set the machine's stock origin to the same point as you have the stock set in Mastercam

It appears that you set your actual stock on the machine to the UPPER- LEFT corner.
    In mastercam, your WSC axis lines should cross at the same point as your setup

Nearly all X values posted should be positive, and Y values are negative
    ie X3. Y-1.75 ( should be stock material centre )

Suggestions only
    X0 Y0 Z0 should be centre and top of part. no part feature should be higher than zero.
    This way, any Z-ive, is cutting material , Z+ive is safe ( general sense of the word )
    X0 Y0 being part centre and you set machine to stock centre ( any small fluctuations in stock size is not a major concern )

Try creating a standard or proceedure of job setting, and additional data that normally is required that should be stored with the NC code ( say, as part of a header )
    example
    Code:
    (Material         = 4140 )
    (Stock Size       = X6.0 Y2.5 Z0.5 ) ( size and orientation on machine )
    (Machine Setup    = 6" Vice -Bison )
    (Parallels used   = 6" x 0.5"" x 2.25" high )
    (Material Held By = 0.100" )
    (Material Above Jaws = 0.400 ) ( 0.35 Min.)
    ()
    ( #1 Datum )( @ A0. )
    ( X = Stock Centre )
    ( Y = Stock Centre )
    ( Z = Top Face Minus 0.010" )
    ()
    ( #2 Datum )( @ A90. )(t/ball = 1/2" dia x 1/2" high )
    ( X = Tooling Ball centre )
    ( Y = Tooling Ball centre )
    ( Z = Tooling Ball centre )
    another option - Z datum set to top, centre of holding device
    Yes I do have my stock in X+ and Y- I think that is called Area #4 Area #1 being in X+ and Y+ going counter clock wise. area #2 would be X- Y+, 3 would be X- Y-, and where I have mine would be X+ Y-.
    I have Zero of my stock in MasterCam X2, at X0, Y0, Z0,
    Now when I get over to putting it in the Mill, I bring my Z down with the edge finder in place and run my stock up to it using Y+ and X- and Z-. Example: So if your looking at it in MasterCam x0,y0,z0 that top edge with the edge finder touching the 2.5" side is where I start my X zeroing. Then I move the Z up away, and press the X- to move till Z is above the stock and I press the Y- then lower the Z down so that I am in the top edge of the stock.

Thats how I have done it and its not working right? I hope that info is able to help explain what im doing wrong here....
    Can you tell me where to put the edge finder in those locations? And in doing X first I zero X out and move to Y and zero it out.
    Hope I didnt confuse you... Thanks for the help! Superman!!!

Since you didn't get this detailed in your origin setting, I figured I'd ask.

After you have used the edge finder, there is an offset to the radius of the finder. The actual zero point set as you describe it would be a point in space away from the actual material corner. You can set it then jog each axis to cancel that offset, then reset it so it does reside on the real corner or add in the compensation offset by entering it when setting the origin.

Not that you missed this detail in your method, just your description, but it will shift everything.

DC

Can you put up a screen-shot of the 4 viewports of your mastercan session with the axes ON ?
    this may help us to explain better