585,902 active members*
4,814 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Anyone tackle a MDF lathe?

I see everyone making MDF routers which work wonders, I have one now and eager for a new challenge. Has anyone managed to build a lathe from MDF? My biggest concern is the main spindle but there must be an inexpensive solution for that one. What is everyone's thoughts?

Ideally, much like the routers we have been building, it would able to machine plastics, wood and if possible light cuts of aluminum

If you have a router that can do light aluminum machining, why not use that to make an aluminum bed lathe? For example, see Leeway's build:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59421

Look at Khalid's thread. He added a 4th axis on an MDF machine. Maybe some ideas there for you.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...ghlight=khalid

I have a tough time believing that MDF would be stiff enough for a classic lathe. It's under constant cutter stress, and having had a cheapo Dremel lathe once upon a time, I can say that an unrigid lathe is just a frustration. I'm kinda glad the junk bearings died so I could finally stop abusing myself with it.

However, if you made a lathe with a rotary tool instead of the regular blade, I think you'd have a chance because the cutting forces are acting in a different set of directions. A slow-speed spindle would probably be necessary too. Kind of a different machine, but it would be pretty good at making round things I think.

If you made the spindle stepper driven, you could make some neat long spirals and fluted columns and things like that. Sears made a manual version that you use with a wood router called the "Router Crafter," but there are some big-buck commercial versions too.

The woodworking magazine ShopNotes has have Baltic Birch lathes in it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by dielectric View Post
    I have a tough time believing that MDF would be stiff enough for a classic lathe. It's under constant cutter stress, and having had a cheapo Dremel lathe once upon a time, I can say that an unrigid lathe is just a frustration. I'm kinda glad the junk bearings died so I could finally stop abusing myself with it.

However, if you made a lathe with a rotary tool instead of the regular blade, I think you'd have a chance because the cutting forces are acting in a different set of directions. A slow-speed spindle would probably be necessary too. Kind of a different machine, but it would be pretty good at making round things I think.

If you made the spindle stepper driven, you could make some neat long spirals and fluted columns and things like that. Sears made a manual version that you use with a wood router called the "Router Crafter," but there are some big-buck commercial versions too.
    I agree with you, as long as we are talking about a classic lathe.
    I own a Powermatic 3520B which many consider one of the better classic wood lathes. Its made of about 800lbs of cast iron and makes good use of a lot of that in normal use. The cutting forces are large and in normal use the 2hp motor that turns the spindle is needed to cut against a stationary cutting tool.
    When you use a spindle to turn the cutter all of that changes. I doubt that any more force is required to cut than would be required to cut on a table with flat stock. I think that same motors that drive an x or y axis should be able to drive a rotory axis, as long as the radius and gearing are appropriate for the speed
    On a normal wood lathe the speed of the axis is very high compared to what I would think you would use on a CNC 4th axis.

Ahh - time zones -- got me there Gerry! I had the same thought.
    That set of ShopNotes is really pretty neat. And a straight forward build.
    MDF probably not the right material for it however.
    There are some old Mechanic Illustrated how to do a lathe in timber floating about as well. As I recall that was a much smaller - almost watchmaker size lathe.
    On my long list of "want to do-s." I'll get on to it after the Honey do-s.
    Cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Using BB would defiantly be an option over MDF, I was more concerned with going with something that can easily be cut with the CNC routers people are using on the site. I can invision the bed in my mind and have started playing around in solidworks to model it but i keep getting stuck up with the spindle. Just not sure how to go about that aspect of it. I wouldn't be against mounting a spindle from something else onto the built up bed but what is available that can then easily be adapted to mount a chuck? I was thinking something around a 6x10 for size at the upper limit so this isn't going to be huge. I keep asking myself why not just buy one from HF or something but half the fun is putting it together.

rkremser,
    What type of lathe are you looking to build?
    I have some plans for a "Rose Engine" made of MDF that I downloaded a while back thinking some day I may try to build one. If you are intersted, I can send a copy.
    This will give you an idea what a rose engine is:
    http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/o-rosego.htm