509,631 active members
3,262 visitors online
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Digital Machinist > Digital Version of Digital Machinist
Page 2 of 3 123
    Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by gb3 View Post
    Joe,

You talk about an unpredictable delivery schedule but I know that the three magazines I deal with all go out the door within a day or two of the scheduled mail date.
    Hi George,
    I wasn't throwin' flames at you all, rather I lose track of when the mag is due, and if it doesn't show up, it may be the next issue before I realise it, it is then a bit late to ask for a replacement. Our postal system is, while probably the worlds best, sadly lacking. I do appreciate that you seal the issues in plastic, BUT, there is always a BUT isn't there, BUT printing on the plastic the address, in Sunny steal your identity, Kalifornia, Makes a very difficult time shredding it, really messes up a shredder , Overall I would recommend your products especially to beginners. I followed with great interest the Bridgeport CNC conversion up untill he bought a kit, I figured after that, the kit mfg would provide instruction, anyway I have a Fadal TRM at my beck and call now, and do not need to convert my bridgeport.
    Keep up the good work, and I hope to see more engines, of all variaty especially steam! Oh, if your writers make electronic controllers using microcontrollers, it would be helpful if they included the source code as well as a hex, just so your readers can change it, so as to be able to use a different # chip, or alter lookup tables ( like in the case of a small engine computer), it would be helpful, assuming the author was willing that is.
    Thank You

Registered
    I agree that we need printed versions too. For years I have subscribed to an electronics magazine in a hard copy and they have a PDF copy for $5 more per year. I too prefer to have hard copies while reading; they are easy to take with you. I also like the PDF copy to maintain a good reference library that is easy to search through for a particular article. If I am real interested in a project I then print a hard copy to use in the shop.
    I also subscribe to a PDF version of an excellent electronic magazine from across the pond. The printed version would be too costly. Again I print the articles I need.
    Nothing ever done for a child is wasted

It doesn’t look like the digital version will happen anytime soon. With the economy the way it is, we are not planning on any big changes ($$$) until things turn around.

When we do jump into the digital sales, there will always be a printed version available. My guess is that the printed version would remain the best seller in the US but, as you mentioned, the costs associated with shipping overseas (and Canada) would likely make the PDFs the big sellers outside of the US.

George

Quote Originally Posted by lesliene View Post
    Hi There!
    Im new in this site!
    I think a digital version that is available along with the printed version would be great. If you needed a drawing out in the shop- just print out one page. It would be kind of handy.
    Just keep on posting!
    Im happy to be part of this community!
    I hope I can have more friends here!
    Thanks!
    Good Luck!...

Doll House Toys
    We do make some of our drawings available for download on our web site; www.digitalmachinist.net. They are saved as dxf files and should be readable in a variety of different CAD systems. We only purchase the rights of the authors drawings for a one time use in the magazine and additional permission is required to host them on our website, so not all drawings in the magazine will make it to the download site.

George

Digital Version of Digital Machinest

Same here - never experienced any of those issues yet looks for some wood

If it aint broke, dont fix it

Registered
    We hope to move in that direction for all of the magazines and Digital Machinist would likely be the first to take the plunge. Unfortunately, our IT department is spread a little thin around here right now so I won’t even hazard a guess to how it might take.

Thanks for taking the time to ask. If anyone else would like to see a digital version of the magazine, let me know. If I can show management that there is a lot of interest in this it may help to speed up the process.

George
    I for one welcome our new digital pdf overlords... oh wait, wrong site

creating an electronic version isn't that difficult, especially with access to the source material. I've been converting stuff for personal use since vic-20's were considered high-tech. cross-referencing has been easy since apple shipped hypercard in '87

while ebooks may not be ideal everywhere it's plenty easy to print pages/sections on demand or order oldskool bound copies via LuLu, kinkos, etc

Registered

Digital Magazines

I am currently in Mongolia and currently subscribe to about 12 publications all in Digital format. I cannot count on the postal system here delivering anything and was greatly relieved when I found Zinio digital magazines. I am able to carry my entire library with me where ever I go and catch up on my reading while waiting for planes. I like Zinio's format and now I am hoping that with the introduction of the Ipad that I will not have to carry a laptop around to access my library. I would certainly subscribe to Digital machinist if it were available in a digital format. I do require the ability to download and read offline.

Registered
    Joe,

You talk about an unpredictable delivery schedule but I know that the three magazines I deal with all go out the door within a day or two of the scheduled mail date. I know this because I hear about it if they don’t. There may have been some delayed issues in the past, but I assure you that our schedule is consistent. Perhaps the delays occurred somewhere in the mail.

I agree that four issues a year makes for a long wait when following a continuing article. We will eventually publish six times a year but it will take some time to secure enough editorial and advertising content to fill that many magazines.

George
    I am not presently a subscriber, here are my thoughts re: PDF publication. I subscribe to nuts and volts and servo and they provide a pdf if you want it at no extra charge. I use the pdfs in the shop and get them all dirty and toss them, my Magazine stays in the library or gets archived to a shelf for preservation. I really see the PDFs as valuable, especially when the postmaster fails to deliver the magazine. I like the PDFs to print specific articles in a series and bind them together as well. One of the BIG minuses I saw with your publications was the delivery schedule, as I never knew when I was supposed to get an issue I never knew when one did not get here, I also; hated waiting 2 - 3 months for the next article in a series.

We are planning to offer digital subscriptions beginning with the Fall 2010 issue. Since we are currently busy working out all the details and bugs, we will not have a means to subscribe set up until sometime in September. I’ll let you know more details once we have things up and running.

George

Registered

Digital Issue

I have just taken a look at your digital edition of the magazine and I am greatly disappointed. As near as I can tell there is no provisions to download the magazine and read it offline. I travel a lot and want the ability to read while on the plane and away from internet access. I have just acquired an Ipad to read magazines with. I subscribe to about 12 different magazines all from Zinio and it is fantastic on the Ipad. I can carry all of them with me and read as the mode strikes. Can't do this with the version I see here. Also I do not see any provisions to print out even individual pages let alone the entire issue. It looks like your intent is to require subscription to both paper and digital formats to have develop a library. I view these magazazines as a resource and not as throw away's. If this is the format you are sticking with I won't be a subscriber.

Larry in Mongolia.

Larry,

Thanks for the comments. As you can imagine, I have heard from a number of people who wish the material could be downloaded and saved. I hope to be able to allow this in the future but, for now, it looks like the download feature will not be enabled.

Keep the comments coming. It can be difficult to guess at what the customers want when dealing with a new product and any comments or ideas you may have are welcome.

George

Registered
    Larry,

Thanks for the comments. As you can imagine, I have heard from a number of people who wish the material could be downloaded and saved. I hope to be able to allow this in the future but, for now, it looks like the download feature will not be enabled.

Keep the comments coming. It can be difficult to guess at what the customers want when dealing with a new product and any comments or ideas you may have are welcome.

George
    where do you access the digital issues? I am a subscriber to Home shop Machinist, Machinist Workshop and Digital Machinist ( 3 year each). I have an account online but when I go to My digital library there is nothing there.

Thanks

PS. I have several hundred acres of trees , I am glad you guys are a print shop, paper copies are good too If you know what I mean.

Page 2 of 3 123