585,762 active members*
4,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EMC2 AXIS resume from msg, command.

I have been using EMC for about 5 years and just upgraded to EMC2, using AXIS as the display program. I love AXIS, except for one thing: After putting a msg, command in the part program, and issuing an M0 command right after, I have to click on two separate things to restart the part program. First I have to close the message pop up box that is launched from the (msg, Raise cutter and press resume to continue) box, then I have to press the "S" key on the keyboard to continue running the program. I have a 2 axis mill right now so this is lot of mouse clicking and navigating for no good reason. Am I missing something easy? Is there a simple "one keystroke" method to resume from a pause, so I am not navigating the keyboard all the time? This gets pretty cumbersome, especially when drilling a lot of holes and doing lots of cutter lifts and lowers. Thanks for any ideas any of you can provide.

Sounds like you don't want the (msg, ...) to popup a dialog. Why not remove that from your gcode file, or change it to (print, ...) or (debug, ...) which will just print it to the shell window that started emc2 (or null if you run from a desktop icon.)

If your CAM program outputs the (msg, ...) then there should be a preprocessor file that has that line in it.

It seems to me with your 2 axis machine, you should wire a momentary button into emc2 and modify your HAL so that when the button is pressed the program continues. Better yet, wire two buttons so that both hands must hold a button to continue like the big paper cutting machines my father had.

C

Re: EMC2 AXIS resume from msg, command

I tried to put (print, Raise cutter and press resume...) and I get no display message at all when it is time to perform the manual action. When I use (degbug, Raise cutter and press resume...) The net effect is the same as using (msg, ) within my G-code file: The machine stops and gives a popup prompt, which I must click on to acknowledge. Then I have to press "S" on the keyboard to resume the program. I used to use the "Mini" interface with old EMC, and it kept a running list of actionable message commands in a list to the left of the Backplot window. If I had (msg, ) followed by M0 on the following line, the program would pause, wait for me to perform the action and only require me to press the "S" key to resume. I did not have to clear a text message or text box first. I know that it sounds simple, but it is pretty annoying to have to now do two separate keystrokes when one used to do the job. Yes, I do understand that HAL can be used to process inputs for push buttons, but I have not quite gotten that far in the learning curve yet. Any other ideas on how to get a message for "Tool Change" "Drill Hole" "Spot Hole" ect without having two separate actions to resume? Thanks for looking at my post.

The (PRINT, ...) worked but there is no shell window visible to show the output. If you run emc2 on the command line from a shell you will see the print statements. You should be able to configure the existing emc2 icon to run in a shell too.

The print will continue without pause so you would have to add a M0 pause.

I had posted in another thread a while back a possible way to redirect this emc2 output to a terminal window using netcat. If you are interested let me know.

Colin

EMC2 AXIS resume from msg, command.

Sorry, not really wanting to have to use something like Netcat as a workaround. Just hoping that I am not the only one that has run into this, and expecting that I am missing something easy in configuration. Just want it to work simple, like MINI and TKEMC interfaces.

Any other takers on how they handle resume in AXIS?

Thanks.

You might try asking this question in the EMC mailing list. Not many EMC users hang out in the Zone...

John