585,676 active members*
4,056 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Yaskawa SGDM fault help needed

Hybrid View

Angry Yaskawa SGDM fault help needed

Hello,I am in the middle of retrofitting a cnc punch machine with a newer PC based controller system with newer servo motors and drives.I had purchased 2 sets of servos and drives off EBAY that consist of 2 Sigma II SGDM drives and 2 sgmah motors,the drives did not come with any cables.So my problem is when I went to bench test and start tuning my servo sytem with my motion contoller I get a fault as soon both amps power up, and that is AC9.That fault pertains to the absolute encoder not communicating with the drive.So after reading the manual i find out if you unplug,or somehow the battery dies on you, you have to reset the encoder with the "FN008" param.so when I try the resetting procedure,I get a "NO OP" flasshes for a second its not allowing me to reset.Since the system did not came with any encoder cables,I made my own using 6 pin firewire cables because the encoder conn,is basically a firewire conn.I varrified the 3.6 volts,5 volts for the encoder itself is reaching the encoder,and it is.After about 3 hours of rechecking connections and varrifying params,I decided to call Yaskawa tech support,and basically the'ye saying I needed to by 2 of their $160.00 encoder cables.I dont buy it,the cable I made from a firewire cable,is shielded high quality,probably better quality than OEM.So is their anyone came acoss this fault,any help would be GREAT!

Hi tommee10533
    The A.C9 it has nothing to do with the battery it the communications between the servo amplifier & encoder is not possible

I would say you have a problem with your cables Battery alarm is A.83

what was the reason you brought motors with absolute encoders they are extra work for no benefit
    Mactec54

Hello,I realize a "ac9" is a comm fault,I just wanted to know if anyone had this problem before,and if there is any solution to this besides purchasing OEM cable.Installing absolute cable is not really more work.I basically wanted to design a sys,that wont need homed everytime the power is cycled,I had installed abolute encoder systems before with no problems,this the first time I used Yaskawa units,probably be my last also.Thanks for the reply anyway.

Hi Tommee10533

You don't need OEM cables you can make your own with the right type of cable we do
    abolute encoders don't really help you to much you still should re-home the machine every time you turn the power off Yaskawa make the best drives in the world so you have the right drives & motors you just need the right cables do you have the right plugs for your cables have you grounded the shield at the input end only
    Mactec54

Hi sorry for digging out old threads. But I am facing this issue of A.C9 and it is irriating. Previously I am able to run the 750W servopack with a 750W motor. But after I did some testing with a smaller 400W motor, it did not work, it gave A.C9. After I change to the 750W motor it no longer runs. It just appears A.C9.
    But after switching off for 20 mins or so, I switch it on with the 750W motor, it works for 20 seconds. With the 66 digit on the panel, i did a test jog and it works! But after 20seconds or so, the A.C9 appears and everything stops.
    How do I solve this A.C9? Is there a way of hard reset? I can't do a "FN008", its say NO OP just like the thread starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphonics View Post
    Hi sorry for digging out old threads. But I am facing this issue of A.C9 and it is irriating. Previously I am able to run the 750W servopack with a 750W motor. But after I did some testing with a smaller 400W motor, it did not work, it gave A.C9. After I change to the 750W motor it no longer runs. It just appears A.C9.
    But after switching off for 20 mins or so, I switch it on with the 750W motor, it works for 20 seconds. With the 66 digit on the panel, i did a test jog and it works! But after 20seconds or so, the A.C9 appears and everything stops.
    How do I solve this A.C9? Is there a way of hard reset? I can't do a "FN008", its say NO OP just like the thread starter.
    So now you tell the whole story, You did not say this in your first post, a 400W motor is not going to run on the 750W Drive, Try to reset the drive to the factory Defaults FN005 look this up because there is a procedure that you have to follow
    Mactec54

Re: Yaskawa SGDM fault help needed

Hello, i have the same issue with Yaskawa Drive SGDM-02ADA and A.C9 alarm. I can NOT find out what is the possible fix for this problem. I checked the cables, the connectors and the settings on the driver. I get the same message on FN008 as "tommee10533" says above.

Any help ??

Thanks in Advance
    George

Re: Yaskawa SGDM fault help needed

Guys,

You have a wiring error on your encoder or you have the wrong motor/encoder pair for that particular driver. Check the driver and see if it is compatible with your drive, if so then you can reset the parameters and start setting them again. Watch this video on youtube showing the AC9 error when the encoder is missing or wired incorrectly. You mentioned absolute encoders do you have a battery installed? Not positive but some absolute encoders want the battery present.

Russ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE4uXqcD3po