584,862 active members*
5,699 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Jgro cnc build Log

Ok guys and girls after a year of research on here I'm ready to build the Jgro design it's small and simple and can fit on my work shop with no problem. I started cutting some parts today I got the cutting table done and now I'm working on the adjustment block large. Has any of yall had any problem cutting the hole on the adjustment block all most all the way through and the MDF comes appart on the bottom I've went through 7 and only got 3 so far. I'll have swap to delrin soon.

I used a circle saw for mine. When it was about 1/8" from going through, I flipped it and used the drilkled hole as a guide. All cut perfectly.

Hi - I used a Forstner bit for all my holes in MDF. I did not get any tearout but you do want to clear the bit before going all the way through. Th MDF I used (Lowes) has a paper surface that seems harder to penetrate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1394.jpg  

Hope every one had an happy safe easter. Well I got a little work done I'm just about finish my large and small adjusetment block I need to get an
    13/64" drill bit bummer. I done what Mr. Wild said drill half way through and flip it over I didn't have any that broke off Thanks for the tip Mr.Wild.
    I will be glad to get any suggestion. Now I also got the dial rods but was thinking of using this steel rod I may pass on it to much cutten. One of the pics has where it wood broke off. Hope fully will get more work done tomarrow and doesn't rain. I first pic is the cutting bed I'll wait and rout the
    t channels near the end Oh yah I'm ording my delrin and hdpe tomarrow.
    may be from Mcmaster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jgro cnc build log_0001.jpg   jgro cnc build log_0002.jpg   jgro cnc build log_0003.jpg   jgro cnc build log_0004.jpg  

jgro cnc build log_0005.jpg  

Well just order my delrin and aluminum angle from mcmaster-car.com she told they will be here tomarrow luckly they have a divison in Georgia. Well back down to the dungin to do some work.

Yap my delrin and aluminum angle came today :banana: I can start on the x,y, and z bearing plates. I'm having a little trouble need yall input on the
    base support structure drawing do you add a 1/2 top to it, all so for the same for the bed support its pages 22 and 23.

I got the left and right side gantry cut, gantry bottom, and gantry rear brace.
    Will add more pic in a few fixing to back and work on project some more.

Hello Jut got up from the Dungin redone the gantry got it this time. I got gantry left, right, bottom, and back brace done. Here some pic of the gantry
    not put the together yet, the delrin that a 6"x6" pice about $35 from mcmaster and the angle and my wood stacked up oh yah the muddy foot print was my cat jumped up on the table at the time he went up into the basement hunting for critters doing his job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jgro cnc build log 2_0006.jpg   Jgro cnc build log 2_0007.jpg   Jgro cnc build log 2_0008.jpg   Jgro cnc build log 2_0009.jpg  

Jgro cnc build log 2_0010.jpg   Jgro cnc build log 2_0011.jpg  

After I got back from visiting my aunt and uncle I got a little bit of work done today. I got both Y bearing block cut out, Gantry Front, Gantry Corner Block,
    and I redone the gantry rear brace this came out better. Tomarrow I'll do some more drilling and cutting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc build log 2_0012.jpg  

Well I got a full of day work down in the dungon I got the x,y, and z, platforns, the bearing plate all cut out and ready to be routed tomarrow
    allso got the gantry cut out done. I got a shop around for a acme 1/2- 10 5 start threaded rod mcmaster is a little to high on any body know any good places a little cheaper then mcmaster please feel free to let me know I'll probley order them monday.
    Just curious what kind of paint you use on MDF ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jgro cnc build log 3_0013.jpg   jgro cnc build log 3_0014.jpg   jgro cnc build log 3_0015.jpg   jgro cnc build log 3_0016.jpg  

jgro cnc build log 3_0017.jpg  

You might try Enco....use-enco.com ... they have a selection of Acme. Thats where I got mine. Ron...Broken Balsa

Well I got a little bit of work done today befor the rain came bummer.
    Just wonering is there a mistake on the z axis liner bearing asembly it reads 1/4-20 x 1 1/2 when I stick the 1/4-20 x 1 1/2 through the angle and wood it does't go all the way through has any of yall had this problem or I miss something ?
    Oh yah What Kind of paint do you use on MDF ?

I went back down to the dungon and looked at the z axis liner bearing I didn't cut down
    far enough where the 1/4" x 1 1/2" gose I dremel tooled it down just a little and it fits perfit. Now I got the z and y liner bearing asembly done I'll do the x liner bearing tomarrow and be done with that and cut the big pices.

Well I orded my acme 1/2" the other day from enco and I called them to get a tracking number and they said they should be here some time today.

I was thinking I have a an all aluminum table my Ucnle gave it's 3'x4' I was thining about extending the y axis and the cutting table to 4' to all most 3 foot would yall do it if you had the extra wood ?

after looking at it I decided to leave it the same size as it is. That pleanty of room for what I wont to do.

I got a little bit of work done today I cut out some of the base board support I'll probley fishish that and the base board support for the cutting bed tomarrow
    hopfully if it don't rain. :drowning:

Well I finaly got a little bit of work done today. One thing I've learned MDF sucks to work with because it turns everything red and you sneeze it out
    even when you wear of mask. With my heart condition I not I should be messing with this stuff I may have to rethink this I'm kind of getting burned out on this Gonna have to take a break on this.

Has any body get burned out from building there projects ?

I"m not throwing in the towel yet I'm just thinking...lol

Not to worry. I'm still building my JGRO and its been over two years. I still need to make the motor stand offs and bearing mounts. The machine itself is built. The last 10% is 90% of the work ya know. I do have the li,it switches in place and someday soon I'll have the control box done.

Once the JGRO is done, there are a lot of plastic projects, and you can cut solid wood for chips, not dust. It always goes faster with a partner.

Just wondering don't Mach 3 have a 30 day trial period ?
    If so how many cuts do you get with ?
    How many do you like mach 3 ?

Ok I'm having problems with the 1/2" MDF for the base boards support a couple done split on me how many of you nailed or gluded the base board and the cutting bed support ?

Quote Originally Posted by tbenefi33 View Post
    Just wondering don't Mach 3 have a 30 day trial period ?
    If so how many cuts do you get with ?
    How many do you like mach 3 ?
    Mach 3 trial version is unlimited in time or cuts, but will only run 500 lines of code. The full version is less than 200$.

Northboy

Page 1 of 3 123