585,766 active members*
4,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Raising Taig headstock

I'm looking at my Taig right now.

OK so the black headstock is clamped onto a dovetail on the bigger gray block with the rail guide shoes and leadnut. The motor's mounted on the black headstock and appears it would move with it.

So this dovetail is a slide, and the black part of the headstock is at the bottom. In fact there's an extra empty pair of threaded screwholes so it looks like the dovetail could just as well be mounted higher too.

I'm wondering. See right now the collet can touch the table which is further than it could ever need to go (bits have a nonzero length too), with leadscrew and rail travel to spare on the low end. I have a Modular Work Holding Plate raising the low end up further. I've also wondered about the quick change collet system which would raise the lowest height needed as well.

So, I could always use more upper Z-clearance. I will never be able to use this lower end the leadscrew and slides can travel now because that'll put the bit below the table.

Is this meant to be adjustable? Can I just move the black headstock higher on the dovetail, and can the dovetail itself be mounted higher?

Yes, absolutely, I had to raise mine as well for my quick changer.

Here's an old pic for you-

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.JPG  
    Dave->..

OK... now can the dovetail plate be mounted higher? Is that what the extra 2 screws are there for? Or am I limited to sliding the headstock up on the dovetail?

Nope, you can mount the dovetail as high as you want as the holes all line up. Obviously rigidity comes into play here too so I'll let you be the judge.

Dave
    Dave->..

Dave,

Not to hijack the topic, but do you have a good shot of your motor mount plate.
    It looks good and I gather you can change speeds without unscrewing and screwing the stock mount cap screws.... care to share the design spec or an .stl file?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macdarren View Post
    Dave,

Not to hijack the topic, but do you have a good shot of your motor mount plate.
    It looks good and I gather you can change speeds without unscrewing and screwing the stock mount cap screws.... care to share the design spec or an .stl file?

Thanks

Hi there,

Sorry, no drawings or dxf's as I manually milled this out. Here's a thread I did about it a little over a year ago showing some decent pics of it. It should give you a good idea on how to go about copying it-

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50796

Dave
    Dave->..

Tell me more about this quick change collet system!!

Quote Originally Posted by 5artist5 View Post
    Tell me more about this quick change collet system!!
    http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/

IMService has just released an ATC based on this. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzR6L3lEXdM&feature=channel"]YouTube - IMService CNC tool changer[/ame]

oh man! I totally want to get in on that at some point!

..so do I. I've been drooling over that thing for a while.