584,802 active members*
4,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Water cooled spindle.

I have a very nice, water cooled spindle that runs beautifully. The water is pumped using a small, water feature pump and is more than adequate for the job. However, after a few days, the water in the supply tank takes on a life of its own, growing weird and wonderful cultures. I have tried using a weak bleach solution and it helps but just delays the inevitable growth.

Can anyone suggest an additive or solution to my problem?

Many thanks,

Mike

Mike,

You might want to try Dowtherm SR1. Used in Precise High Speed Spindles to keep this German brand of spindles running cool. Mixed with 2 parts water to 1 part Dowtherm SR1. Dowtherm SR-1 is a special pink colored mix of ethylene glycol(anti-freeze).
    Also, google "Precise Spindles" for more info.

Hope this helps.

Link:

http://www.dow.com/heattrans/prod/glycol/dowtherm.htm

Jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the reply but it seems that Dowtherm SR-1 is not available in Europe. Maybe it has another trade name over here. I used the product locator on the Dow website but no results for Europe!!

I will look for other glycol based systems over here.

thanks,

Mike

Just a thought, a little copper sulfate will kill this stuff off for sure. I've used it in my water bed for thirty years now. i don't know, but can't see where this would cause trouble with your spindle coolant.

karl

Perhaps you dont like it but why separate watere cooling at all - my coolant flows through spindle - kill two birds with one stone - one pump, the same fluid.
    ->Tank -> filter -> Pump -> Spindle -> Coolant nozzle -> .....
    Selfmade brushless direct drive spindle, 1kW, 45.000 RPM
    Cheers,
    Herbert

Hi Herbertkabi,

I don't understand what you are saying My system is a closed loop of tank, pump and spindle. The water re-circulates constantly but after a time it becomes cloudy and organisms start growing.

Mike

Herbertkabi is talking about using his machinig coolant to cool his beutiful self made spindle.

Mike,

Contact UK Ebay Seller: dave_the_chiller_man

I bet he would sell you some Dowtherm SR1. Search Dowtherm on UK Ebay.

Jack

You could do a search for coolant additives for water-cooled PCs; they're meant for keeping fluid systems like that clean and germ-free. I ran my computer without it for a while and it did the exact same thing. With the additive I used, it stays clean, and lasts until it goes a little brown from air exposure. Cheap, too.

Jim
    No time to do it right, plenty of time to do it twice.

Great, thanks for all the replies. I will make a few enquiries and let you know what I find.

Cheers,

Mike

this is my older machine coolant and spindle cooling I made few years ago, you can see how hoses ... this spindle is not so "nise looking" but it is good (45k rpm) pump is also tiny - exact like yours
    ("The water is pumped using a small, water feature pump and is more than adequate for the job.") - yes, some of these tiny 12v pumps are very good!
    Pump is electronically controlled ...
    You can use how many closed loop water-systems you like - I prefer just all in one
    cheers,
    herbert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0399.jpg  

Hi Herbertkabi,

Nice looking spindle - do you have drawings and/or instructions on how you built your spindles? Is there a thread on the 'Zone'? I am very interested.

The controller, strapped to the side looks very much like a model speed controller for brushless motors. Also, what is the device on the table in the bottom right of the picture?

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    Hi Herbertkabi,

Nice looking spindle - do you have drawings and/or instructions on how you built your spindles? Is there a thread on the 'Zone'? I am very interested.

The controller, strapped to the side looks very much like a model speed controller for brushless motors. Also, what is the device on the table in the bottom right of the picture?

Thanks,

Mike
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=12184&page=5
    and next pages,
    There I used ER11 extension, later ER16 and ER20,
    Main question - BEARINGS.
    My first spindles years ago I used small ceramic (rc) bearings - 4x bottom and 2x upper side - slightly preloaded - its OK when tiny endmills ...
    There was Lehner 1930 motor ... 50k RPM ... but you never can use so high rpm because vibration rises up as well.
    Correct high precision bearings are much more better, sometimes you can find from ebay for low money.
    Yes - RC brushless speed control + servo-tester (pwm generator)
    Smart guy will add additional circuits and spindle will keep const. speed ...
    Heli mode (governor mode) does not want to work perfect without RX/TX.
    Im building motors myself but some RC motors are also OK, some even very good.
    cheers,
    herbert,

"Also, what is the device on the table in the bottom right of the picture?"
    Ah ... you see small button-wheel (50% black/50%white) installed instead of endmill? Im measuring RPM - this instrument is Laser tachometer.

p.s.

also for Sherline/Taig type spindles:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=72691&page=2