584,849 active members*
4,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Favorite Swiss cutting oil??

Hello again!

We have been using straight screw machine oil in my shop for as long as we have had our swiss machines. With changing over to a new tooling system and starting to use cermet inserts, on a few jobs smoke has become a real problem. I have to believe that there are better options for cutting oils on a swiss.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I've heard really good things about veggie oil based stuff, has anyone had any experience?

I know i cant run soluble oil in a swiss.
    thanks in advance!!
    =)

You will almost always be better off with Oil in a swiss. Water based coolants rust machine components.

I always used Hangstrafers (most likely misspelled but most know what it is). Smoke was always an issue until the shop hooked up a Smog Hog. We changed the filter every week and it did a really good job until we opened the machine door. I have to say that it was noisy so that was the trade off.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

We have several Citizen Swiss's from the A series to the L series. All of our machines run as much as 23.5 hours a day 7 days a week, only stopping to pull chips. We faced many different obstacles.

We tried many different oils and we were facing problems such as oil was getting to warm, oil would burn up after a few months, not working well with the high pressure systems (we run our high pressure over 30% of the overall cycle time), smog issues, difficult to clean parts with oil on them.

Our solution was Hangsterfers PC 28 Vegetable Based Oil.

Worked awesome with high pressure systems
    Does not get too warm
    Easy to clean
    No odor
    Minimized smog
    With previous oils machines had to be drained and refilled with new oil every 45-60 days because it would burn up so bad. We now push our machines harder and longer than ever and have been running the same batch of oil for over a year and a half with only adding oil when machines get low.

Drawbacks=EXPENSIVE aprox 2x's as much as regular cutting oils, however we have already saved so much from not having to replace it. I am sure there are other companies out there with good veg. oils but Hangsterfers PC 28 is the way we go and recommend to anyone and everyone

Hope this helps!

Hangsterfers is very good.
    We use Blaser's Vascomill 22 or uni 10. These work great with the Citizen hi pressure pumps. Yes they do cost more than straight oil but you will use less of it because it runs off the parts better and lasts longer. Also if you ever have smoke Citizen also has a mist collector that does a great job controling that.

We use vegetable base Blaser vascomill 22 & vascomill 10 in our Citizens. The 10 weight has a bit higher flashpoint, about 435F and can pass through our Mitsubishi micro coolant drills. No smoke, no odor, fantastic tool life. We machine mostly super alloys and refractory metals.

For the price Hangsterfers is the way to go. We use the hard cut 5418 in our four Deco's cutting a variety of metal from brass, 300 series SS, 416 SS, maraging, 8620 etc...Works great with our high pressure pumps. Blazer and swiss lube are excellent oil also, but top $$

Quote Originally Posted by BauerDef View Post
    For the price Hangsterfers is the way to go. We use the hard cut 5418 in our four Deco's cutting a variety of metal from brass, 300 series SS, 416 SS, maraging, 8620 etc...Works great with our high pressure pumps. Blazer and swiss lube are excellent oil also, but top $$
    Hangsterfers might smell but it works
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Hangsterfers leaves a varnish behind if used for extended periods. Ever turn a cold machine on in the morning and it has trouble traveling or appears to be 'sticking' to it's axes?

I use Swiss Silver or Blaser.

I've seen that swiss silver stuff on the genevieve swiss site, we do a bit of business with them.
    How does it compare to the hangsterfers?? I was thinking of going with the hangsterfers pc28, but it's SO expensive!
    I'd love some feedback on the swiss silver

Quote Originally Posted by PoiToi View Post
    I've seen that swiss silver stuff on the genevieve swiss site, we do a bit of business with them.
    How does it compare to the hangsterfers?? I was thinking of going with the hangsterfers pc28, but it's SO expensive!
    I'd love some feedback on the swiss silver
    Swiss Silver certainly isn't the cheapest stuff out there, but it's less expensive than some of the other brands.

I think what I like best about it is the low viscosity and how clear it is. I can actually see what is happening inside my machine, even with high pressure coolant running. Also, Swiss Silver is one of the few oils I've been in contact with that doesn't destroy my skin by the end of the day.

Hangstefers allows me to turn steel 9310 using insert kc5010 grade - long turning but I was able to make 2000 on one insert. I have changed to blassomil and after 400-500 parts insert died. The same program, speed, feed etc. Hangstefers stinks but is lot better than Blassomill -
    that is my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    Hangsterfers might smell but it works
    Quote Originally Posted by maximusek View Post
    Hangstefers allows me to turn steel 9310 using insert kc5010 grade - long turning but I was able to make 2000 on one insert. I have changed to blassomil and after 400-500 parts insert died. The same program, speed, feed etc. Hangstefers stinks but is lot better than Blassomill -
    that is my opinion
    It is one of the better cutting oils on the market.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Does Hangsterfer's make non-chlorinated oil for swiss type machine?? If not, do You Guys know some good not-chlorinated oil for swiss (machined material steel 1045 thru 9310). Thanks

Valenite recently introduced a new line of straight cutting oils. There are 3 types. The VP505 is a nearly clear, lightweight oil for grinding and machining of non-ferrous materials, non-chlorinated.

The VP520 would the one I'd choose for your application, a light yellow-colored low-odor non-chlorinated oil for all materials, though I'd consider adding their "Additive 17" lubricant enhancer for cutting high-temp alloys and copper.

Lastly, the new VP528 is a chlorinated heavy oil for heavy machining os such as broaching, gear hobbing and shaping to name a few.

Re: Favorite Swiss cutting oil??

Quote Originally Posted by maximusek View Post
    Does Hangsterfer's make non-chlorinated oil for swiss type machine?? If not, do You Guys know some good not-chlorinated oil for swiss (machined material steel 1045 thru 9310). Thanks
    Cutting Edge Fluids, maker of Swiss Silver, has non-chlorinated blends, available upon request, of any of their cutting oil products. You can check out their website for more info: https://cuttingedgefluids.com/cuttin...tyle-machines/

Quote Originally Posted by PoiToi View Post
    Hello again!

We have been using straight screw machine oil in my shop for as long as we have had our swiss machines. With changing over to a new tooling system and starting to use cermet inserts, on a few jobs smoke has become a real problem. I have to believe that there are better options for cutting oils on a swiss.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I've heard really good things about veggie oil based stuff, has anyone had any experience?

I know i cant run soluble oil in a swiss.
    thanks in advance!!
    =)
    If you want a premium product that will not cause odors, foaming, rusting, or skin irritation, has a high flash point and low viscosity, and beats premium oil competitors in prices with cutting oils and water solubles made in the USA- check out Cutting Edge Fluids (maker of Swiss Silver): Cutting Edge Fluids

I like the Hansterfers Hard Cut 22. We uses it on Inconel.