584,800 active members*
4,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hurco VM20 ???

Hello,
    I'm looking at a Hurco vm20 40 x 20 x 20 with 4th axis. Its about $60.000. Also has the winmax package. What do you guys think about this machine. I'm also looking at a Akira SEIKI and a dmg 1035 eco, but they're about $20.000 more. Is there higher price worth it? Also do you guys like that hurco.

thanks for the help............

VM 20 ?? Do you perhaps mean VM2 or the VMX 42 I can only find the VMX 42 with the xyz travels you mentioned. Great machines

Hurco vs Akira Seki and DMG

If you want to write quick toolpaths using 2D geometry the Hurco is the way to go. The Ultimax control is limited as far as 3D surfacing being programmed at the control. However...The Hurco's run in gcode mode also, as long as you purchase the option. If the Hurco you order does not have a spindle chiller on it, you can expect some major Z creep as the spindle heats up. Now if you want to buy a quality machine...Definitely consider the DMG. I have had great experiences with DMG's with Heidenhain and Siemens controllers. Very nice equipment. I have never used an Akira Seki, but have used Mori Seki's with Fanuc controls. Love the machine...Dont like the Fanuc control. Hope this helps. Make sure if you choose to purchase a Hurco that you buy the .DXF converter so you can import 2D geometry from CAD.

Chris

HNC is provided with the machine (basic nc). ISNC is the (Industry Standard NC) which is Fanuc code is the option. I use only Conversational and HNC. We make all kinds of 3D parts with complex shapes. We use mastercam to program the 3D and conversational to do the rest. You just have to make sure your post is configured to write Basic NC. Small differences from ISNC. We have had great luck with our VM2 and it cuts fast and accurate. It is now 4 years old. I would buy another one in a heart beat. In fact Hurco I thought has an offer for a 4th axis with Winmax for what we paid for a our machine.
    Jetski (alias Tooling and Engineering Czar)
    "I may not have the keys to success.. but I have learned to pick the locks"

Personally I see nothing wrong with Hurco's other than the VMX64 our Company had many problems with them. On the other hand we may be pushing them to hard!
    I am also not a friend of the dxf function. I think that using software like mastercam is defiantly a better choice.

Ive had my VM10 for about 6 months now and I have to admit I have no regrets. I am really happy I waited for the VM10 over buying a VM1. You get alot of things standard that used to be options, plus the added Y axis travel and 10k spindle.

I think the build quality is top notch for the price of the machines. You have to remember that its not a $200k machine, so dont expect that caliber of equipment. But if you run Haas machines you would probably find the Hurco to be as good or better. Just dont expect a Cadillac when you're paying for a Chevy.

The control is great. I have run a pretty good assortment of controls (fanuc, milltronics, haas, prototrak, cincinnati A2100, dynapath, fadal) and I would say I like the Winmax the best. If you do alot of 2D and 2 1/2D parts the dxf function and the automatic rough and finish cycles reduce programming time quite a bit. The graphics are great. You can actually see the part on the screen instead of just seeing the toolpath lines. I post from mastercam too and have had no problems with running Gcode.

One note, the VM30 is only $5000 more. Im pretty sure they were willing to do the same discount on the VM30 packaged with 4th axis as with the VM20. I dont know the type of work you do but thats alot of added travel for the cost.

If this economy ever picks back up I would like to buy a VM30 for my shop.

Good luck with whatever machine you pick.

Hi Chop what is the Y travel now and what options is now standard that was not before in the VM1

Quote Originally Posted by Advena_SA View Post
    Hi Chop what is the Y travel now and what options is now standard that was not before in the VM1
    They bumped up the Y travel from 14" to 16" on the VM10 and from 18" to 20" on the VM20 & VM30.

Options that I got as standard included the flood coolant, the worklight, the clear dome cover, and the 10k rpm spindle. I really didnt care about the dome cover but after running the machine for awhile I can see how chips and coolant could have spray up and out of the machine without it.

I still had to buy rigid tapping and the dxf function.

I want to get the NC/conversational merge. Right now I copy my tool and part setup to the nc program from the conversational and then I just have to run one program and then call up the other program to run it. It would be nice to be able to jump back and forth between the conversational and Gcode in the same program.

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    Personally I see nothing wrong with Hurco's other than the VMX64 our Company had many problems with them. On the other hand we may be pushing them to hard!
    I am also not a friend of the dxf function. I think that using software like mastercam is defiantly a better choice.
    Everthing its depends from how kind of job you doing , for 2d job i preffer dxf , for me is better and quicker cause you can still programing during when machine running its many pluses using dxf

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan_Celtic View Post
    Everthing its depends from how kind of job you doing , for 2d job i preffer dxf , for me is better and quicker cause you can still programing during when machine running its many pluses using dxf
    My Mastercam and DNC will smoke Hurco's DXF Function any day of the week. Anyone that thinks otherwise may not be very efficient using Mastercan. I can have any of our mills running in no time at all.