584,866 active members*
4,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Switch for Enco lathe

I'm new to cnczone.com and this is my first post. I have an Enco 9X20 lathe model 110-0818 that I am trying to get the switch working again. The old one froze up on me and I purchased a new one from Enco that they claimed was for this machine. Although it looks similar to the old one, the markings identifying the terminals are different and I am trying to correlate the two switches. I had an electrician look at the two switches and he thought they were similar as far at the internal contacts were concerned but wasn't sure. So I am trying to come up with a wiring diagram for this lathe other than the lame diagram in the manual. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, don't mess with it, tell the electrician to wire it up.

If he doesn't understand how to wire a simple on/off/reversing switch, get someone else who can.

The machine is probably single phase, so all you're doing is breaking the live and neutral incoming wires at the switch, with the third earth wire going to the body of the switch.

The reverse function is carried out inside the switch, and is easily checked with a meter.
    Ian

Is this the start/stop or the reversing switch?
    I have a 9x30 LatheMaster and It looks like many of these ROC lathes have the same set up.
    If it is the Start/stop/E-stop switch, mine uses a really chinzy way of implementing the stop, the retaining relay is built into the switch and the stop button actually pushes the relay armature off instead of unlatching it electrically!!
    I converted to a standard relay start/stop set up.
    I don't think the original would pass any kind of code inspection.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for your input but I have this worked out now. I found that Harbor Freight Tools sells the same lathe and they had a wiring diagram for the switch I got from Enco. Wired it per the HFT diagram and everything works OK.