585,942 active members*
3,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cheap little breakout/controllers?

I'm playing around with building a little 4 axis "toy" router (gas pipe, roller skate bearings, maybe 12"x12" working area max) and plan on using dirt cheap round steppers from a local electronics shop. The aim here isn't for a robust metalworking machine by any means but more as a learning tool for some non cnc folks. It'll be using readyrod leadscrews and plastic slides for bearings etc.

What I need is a dirt cheap controller/breakout setup that Mach3 can control (parallel port) that (hopefully) is available in Canada (maybe some kit form you find in the plastic robots section of a store).

Anyone have any candidates that spring to mind?

Similar Project

I'm starting a similar project with a mini x-y table that I had lying around from http://littlemachineshop.com/product...cus=X-Y+Tables. I have some cheap nema 23 unipolar steppers on the way and I need something to control them with. the steppers are 2.2A/phase and run @ 7v. I have been seeing cheap little all in one boards on ebay but nothing quite big enough to supply the current I need for the price I want.

Gecko drives would be an option but seem a little pricey for me right now. Also I could use a lesson on getting them to work with a pc. I assume some sort of breakout board is needed.

Anyone using anything other than a parallel port connection? I would like to use my notebook computer to control it but it has no parallel port on it. No rs232 either for that matter, just usb2, fire wire, ethernet. I guess this is more or less just a bump to Rhodan's question.

hobbycnc.com
    used on many machines here.
    you need parallel port.
    There are ways to do with ethernet or maybe even USB, but they are generally more expensive and include a microcontroller or similar.