585,733 active members*
5,101 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Casting Metals > Does ANYONE here know ANYTHING about Chrome plating ???

Does ANYONE here know ANYTHING about Chrome plating ???

Hi,

I want to get setup for chrome plating relatively small medallions and emblems, some cast zinc, others machined aluminum or brass and maybe even copper.

I've been looking at Caswell plating kits like their triple chrome and copy chrome kits. I've never plated anything before and not sure what is the best route to go getting started and I do not want to make a several hundred dollar mistake by investing in the wrong setup.

I had made another post here on the Zone about this and got ZERO replies. So I would really appreciate any information and recommendations by anyone here that has ANY experience with electroplating. If no one here has any experience with this that's fine but, if you do, please share a little knowledge.

Best regards,

Steve

The best place I know for this kind of information is a yahoo group Electroplating.***********.com they can tell you everything you need to know, including where to get your chemicals. Caswell is fine, but there are many cheaper places. You also need to decide how big a piece you are going to plate as amperage requirements are quite high for chrome.. Also chrome is clear, most of your items will require a nickel plate first. Thats the place to ask. Looks like they dont like posting the url for it so the blanked out is y a h o o g r o u p s .

Quote Originally Posted by klmjr View Post
    chrome is clear, most of your items will require a nickel plate first.
    Right, I was surprised to learn that recently. Thank you very much, I'll go over and join the yahoooiieee group.

I appreciate it,

Steve

I used to own a small plating shop, no chrome, but I have some experience with it. Be aware that for show quality chrome, you will have to become a proficient polisher, your parts will have to be mirror finish going into plating to get acceptable results.

Two things I would caution you about.

One, you're dealing with ever changing chemistry and maintaining the correct balance can be tricky. There will also be impurities generated during plating that you will have to deal with over time.

Two, Regulations and disposal. Depending on where you live, you might have some issues owning/using the chemicals needed. Same thing with disposal, you might want to find out how you'd need to properly dispose of the chemicals/filters after use.
    www.harryhamilldesigns.com
    CAD sculpting and services

Thanks Harry,

I'm discussing getting setup with Bill C. and Rob C. over at Plating Technologies and I've been reading everything I can find on the subject. The best info I've found so far has been http://www.members.cox.net/oldies195...electro101.htm .

And he does have a section on EPA, ETC. and I had read somewhere else about laws and rules regarding dealing with these chemicals. Besides, I'm always very careful with the environment. I live in a beautiful area and also, as you can see from my avatar I have a Bernese Mountain Dog and I'm always very concerned about not spilling or dumping anything that even has a chance of hurting him or any other animals, (even humans)

As for polishing, I have a system down now where I can easily and quickly get a true mirror shine on 6061 and I'll be ordering some 360 brass plate soon and shouldn't have any problems there.

Thanks again and it's good to know you have a lot of plating experience, I"m sure I'll need some advice while getting started. I'm looking forward to getting my first successful part plated, hopefully soon.

Best regards,

Steve

check out caswell plateing, I bought a small plateing set up from them and it works out well.

Right David, I'll be ordering the Triple Chrome Plating setup from Caswell very soon. Turns out Bill at PTI doesn't want to talk to me if I'm not going to drop a grand on supplies from him. I know getting setup in plating is costly but I'm not going to drop that much right away when I've never done plating before and he didn't itemize anything.

So the setup from Caswell is going to run about $650. and they have been helpful answering all my questions and it comes with a complete manual. It looks like this setup will chrome hundreds of my emblems and medallions before I need to replace the anodes. Oh, and NO cyanides either !

Which kit from Caswell did you go with ?

Thanks,

Steve

I purchased my kit 5 years ago, i think it was the 2 gallon kit? the only thing I can warn you about is useing too much amperage when starting out. I tended to burn the copper coats the first times useing it. once I made it thru my burnt toast stage and got my polishing skills perfected the results were very professional. Oh yea dont tell your friends you chrome plate stuff they will drive you crazy bringing you old corroded zinc crap to try to fix up.