586,019 active members*
3,661 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Feed rate over ride wont

Feed rate over ride wont

Series E lathe with OSP-U10L control. When running with MDI or Automatic the machine will not respond to adjustments on the feedrate over ride knob in G0 mode.
    That's pretty scary when trying to use this thing in a school. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

I recently started a new job where they have an LB-15 & LB-25. Haven't run them very much yet but think you need to be in single block for the rapid override to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Technical Ted View Post
    I recently started a new job where they have an LB-15 & LB-25. Haven't run them very much yet but think you need to be in single block for the rapid override to work.
    Yup.

Thanks for the info.
    That sure seems incredibly stupid to me.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenrinker View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    Couldn't agree more. Almost had to change my drawers the first time I set up our Okuma. Almost had a heart attack too. Scares the crap out of you when you aren't expecting a full speed rapid move. Bet my heart sped up by at least 50 beats per minute in less than a second.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenrinker View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    Alot of features on Okumas seem redundant and nonsensical. But I feel that it is an engineering signature that helps more than hinders. You have to use more processes to accomplish a task, (even though I have complained about that very thing here). But what this does is allows you to be sure that that task is what you want to accomplish.

And essentially single block and feed rate over ride work hand in hand. You are not going to single block at 100% rapid, and on the other hand you are still going to rapid to the part at 20 % stop it, have a look, look at the position of the tool, then go, right? Same thing in my opinion.

Robert

i have an eseries also and yes that is on my list of reasons why i will never have another okuma lol

Almost had to change my drawers the first time I set up our Okuma. Almost had a heart attack too. Scares the crap out of you when you aren't expecting a full speed rapid move
    The machine is new to us and I had no idea. I heard a student screaming and thought he had lopped a finger off or something. Turns out he had just started a new program and was expecting a nice slow G0 move with the over ride turned down. Then, as you know, the turret took off like a rocket towards the spindle.
    Do you think I can bill Okuma for taking 5 years off my life?

You need to ask Okuma to explain some parameters. I didn't used it, but, I believe, there is the one - disable override for positioning.
    Most important thing is - do You teach students to work with lathe with door lock cheated? That's wrong. Okuma provides possibility to set -up work and even to work with open door safely - with speed limitations

Most important thing is - do You teach students to work with lathe with door lock cheated?
    No. I certainly would not do that and yes they are using door open / slow mode for set up.
    I misspoke in the original post - the machine will respond to feed override in MDI mode just not auto. I also exagerated a little about the screaming student and the chopped off finger comment - however it did scare the $@#% out of him.

open doors are not necessary cheated
    the machine will respond to feed override in MDI mode just not auto
    it's described in parameters, sure. Don't remeber exactly, but maybe there is even G code to make override inefective in auto mode.