585,722 active members*
4,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > My "Crazy" high speed spindle test

My "Crazy" high speed spindle test

You guys will probably think this is a bit crazy too but I had to try it. I was showing a friend who owns a medium size machine shop (with 5 Hurcos) some emblems I've made on my X2 and asking his advice on one or two things and he started laughing when I told him my RPM was ~4200 for .0625 and .0469 end mills.

He said I should be spinning those at more like 20K to 30K ! So I've been on a hunt to find higher rpm motor to replace the stock one. No luck in finding one yet so I went ahead and did what I had been thinking about and mounted a router motor on the X2.

I used a Bosch Colt palm router with variable speed of between 16K and 35K rpm. The result, well it worked and I finished making the emblem in the pictures but man was it loud ! I had the speed dial setting on only 2 and it sounded like one of the old Cox .049 airplane engines. And the router got quite hot, I had to aim a fan at it. Also, I did get my spindle bearings to loosen up and run allot cooler before doing this, I now have taper spindle bearings that will be going in soon.

I'll be removing the router tomorrow and going back to my stock motor until I find a suitable replacement. So at least now I know and can put this idea to rest.

Here's the pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0892 (Small).JPG   IMG_0893 (Small).JPG   IMG_0894 (Small).JPG   IMG_0895 (Small).JPG  

bosch.jpg  

thats the problem with router's as spindles. THEY ARE LOUD. Nice work though. I can't believe those stock bearings held up at that speed.

Yeah Starleper1, you're right about that. I've used routers over the years but not until now did I ever really pay attention to just how loud. I guess I've gotten so used to metal work machines now and the belt drive on my mill (with stock DC motor of course).

I was surprised the bearings held up too although I didn't run it very long, about 45 to 55 minutes I think. Just long enough to finish what I was doing at the time. My brushes had gone out on the stock motor and that's when I hit Feed Hold in Mach and did all this. I went to the hardware store and to my amazement, found replacements.

I'm sure the bearings in the stock motor will have to be replaced soon too. I've never had the belt more than just tight enough and they've been making some rattling noises. I really want to just replace the motor with a good high rpm and be done with it.

Thanks,

Steve

what about skipping all the spindle work and doing something like hoss did?

http://www.hossmachine.info/projects.html

scroll down to engraving attatchment

Doesn't solve the noise issue but still, would save your bearings and your motor for other jobs

Thanks Teyber, I actually have already done that exact adapter mod so I could use my RotoZip for milling PCB's and it works great for that but the offset to the side limits X travel and I'm also concerned about the bearings and runout of that sort of setup when milling metals, even with light cuts. I don't think I took any pics when it was attached but it looks almost like Hoss's.

Since I have the taper spindle bearings to go in I think that a higher RPM main (real) spindle is the best way to go. Maybe not 20K but higher than ~4200 I have now. I'd be happy to reach around 10K RPM.

And good luck with your X3, it looks like you're almost done.

Steve

BTW: I'm using endmills from R.L. Shmitt AKA Attitude on ebay and I'm very happy with them, VERY sharp and tough. I order direct from Jamie Schmitt and they ship very quickly and shipping is very inexpensive. Not affiliated in any way, just a satisfied customer after trying many other brands. I just wanted to pass it along.