585,749 active members*
3,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Splitting entities

Cool Splitting entities

I am trying to learn how to work with vetric software with trial edition.
    Lets say I want to make a mirror frame 40inch in diameter using the round frame in Clipart.crv evaluation sample.
    I can scale the file to enlarge it to the needed size . Now because my cnc router is small ,I need to cut the drawing in 2 in order to machine it.
    If I draw a diagonal line in the middle of the circle , is there a break function making it possible to divide the entities on each side of the line?

Which Vectric package are you using?
    Most of the Vectric software has 'Node editing' available by selecting the vector and a right mouse click. In the drop down menu select 'Node Edit' and when the nodes are visible on the circle (or other vector you are working with) by clicking the node you can select it and then right click for an option from the next drop down menu. Choose 'Cut Vector', and then do the same with the node directly opposite that one(180º from it) and now you have 2 half circle vectors to work with(mirror half etc). I hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Cool Splitting entities

Can you explain how to proceed if I want to have 2 separates pieces in order to machine on a smaller cnc?
    Attached Files Attached Files

You're the only one who can open files created on your trial version.

To split the circle in half, select it using Node Editing Mode (second arrow under "Edit Vectors".) Place the cursor over the node, right click and choose Cut Vector. You'll need to do this to both nodes on opposite sides. The circle should then be split in half, allowing you to delete half of it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Boudreau View Post
    Can you explain how to proceed if I want to have 2 separates pieces in order to machine on a smaller cnc?
    Hello Claude,

If I am understanding you right, now that you have cut the vectors you have 2 halves and you want to machine them separately in order for them to fit within the travels of your machine? I have a small CNC mill myself and I have this same problem from time to time. If the vectors are small enough to fit your machine you can probably just leave all the vectors on the drawing board. What you do with each half will depend on what needs to be done. I can not open your file so unless you can post a .dxf for your file etc I have to guess.
    If there is a pocket in the center of the part you will probably have to close the vectors with a line. Once the vectors are closed you will be able to pocket the part. Holes are no problem to drill. You will most likely need to profile the outside perimeter of the part and you should be able to do it with open vectors, but you might want to join them so they machine smoother.
    You will need to orientate the part so as to make machining optimum for your machines work table. Since you need to run the programs in halves you need to figure how you will fixture your work to make positioning easier and accurate. You may want to add a couple sets of holes in the waste part of the material blank so you can pin stop etc. the blank on the work table. If you use a sacrificial plate beneath the material you can drill the holes through into the sacrificial plate and then use some press fit pins as locating pins for your part. It is too hard to visualize all possibilities without seeing the part, but I have tried to include enough info to get you started.
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Cool splitting entities

Sorry you could not open my file.
    Here is a dxf file of what I am trying to do.
    I had to post only part of the file because of its size .

This 3d drawing is geometry from NC (grey) and might not connect with the blue line. But its the only thing I could post.

So in V-carve evaluation files I have a normal 2d drawing that I want to cut in half to be able to machine.

(I will have to glue the 2 pieces of wood together after, to complete the project.)

In bob-cad there is a (break many) function that can easily do this . Is there something similar in V-Carve?

Hello Claude,

If done right you will not have to glue it, it will be one piece cut 2 times(1/2 of the part is cut each time). It is not as easy as cutting it all at once but it is do-able. You can place a line through the center of the part and create the toolpaths for each half. There may be some minor blending or cleanup where the two halves meet, but it should be very little if the toolpaths are done right.
    From the looks of the partial file you posted this almost looks like a frame of some sort? I loaded into Vcarve and it looks like there are some vectors overlapped but Vcarve does not see them as duplicates. You will need to clean up the vectors so there are no overlapping lines etc. for better machining.
    You can select the vectors for each half to create the toolpaths after you cut the vectors where the halves meet. You should be able to machine each half complete and perhaps rotate the blank 180º onto your index pins and do the second half. I would recommend you include some gauge pin holes in the blank located so you can reposition the blank on those holes for the second half(may even be a good idea to put some in the blank so you can position the first side back for re-machining if needed.
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

If your circle is a closed vector, you can cut it with a rectangular box vector and the Subtract Vectors tool.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by metalworkz View Post
    Hello Claude,

If done right you will not have to glue it, it will be one piece cut 2 times(1/2 of the part is cut each time). It is not as easy as cutting it all at once but it is do-able. You can place a line through the center of the part and create the toolpaths for each half. There may be some minor blending or cleanup where the two halves meet, but it should be very little if the toolpaths are done right.
    From the looks of the partial file you posted this almost looks like a frame of some sort? I loaded into Vcarve and it looks like there are some vectors overlapped but Vcarve does not see them as duplicates. You will need to clean up the vectors so there are no overlapping lines etc. for better machining.
    You can select the vectors for each half to create the toolpaths after you cut the vectors where the halves meet. You should be able to machine each half complete and perhaps rotate the blank 180º onto your index pins and do the second half. I would recommend you include some gauge pin holes in the blank located so you can reposition the blank on those holes for the second half(may even be a good idea to put some in the blank so you can position the first side back for re-machining if needed.
    Regards,
    Maybe I didnt explain it right, I cant cut it because my machine is too small , the piece wont fit. If you look at V-carve sub-directory named Sample files,
    select Clipart.crv and unzoom the frame is on the right.
    I want to be able to cut each vector intersecting the dividing line not only the circle but all the intricate carving inside.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If your circle is a closed vector, you can cut it with a rectangular box vector and the Subtract Vectors tool.
    If you look at the sample files (clipart.crv) in the v-carve sub-directory, you will see that its not only a circle but intricate carving inside the frame.

I can use a rectangular box to try do divide but it will only select closed entity . If I draw a dividing line across the frame, can I cut in 2, each vector that cross that line ?

I didn't see a way to do it, but I'm not an expert. You should ask this on Vectric's forum, you'll get an answer there very quickly.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Hello Claude,
    I understand that your machine is too small. That is the reason you need to cut the whole part in sections, but it does not necessarily have to be cut into several parts. Just set up the part so that it is sectioned into parts small enough to fit the machine. Then each section will need to have a program for the work to be done in that section. The part can be shifted/rotated as needed as long as you plan a method to gauge the blank on the machine so that it does not lose the orientation. You should be able to cut all of the vectors although anything that needs to be pocketed or a closed vector may need to have some temporary lines added to enable that type of toolpath and then any unwanted sections can be removed later. I will try to look at the file at the Vectric site but I cannot access their site right now for some reason. If you want you can send the file to my email and I will take a look and send any suggestions back to you.
    <[email protected]>
    I saw the intricate design in your part that you posted a portion of. There are also some vectors overlapping that will probably have to be cleaned up.
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Cool Lets keep it simple

The two part project was just an example. What I am really looking for is a way to split entities as in this example . sorry for making you loose your time , I should have posted a dxf file long before, since I cant post with the trial version of V-carve, its hard to visualize.

P.S. By the way I had not tought about rotating my work the way you described, might be useful one day, thanks.

Hello Claude,
    I took the .dxf file and split the first item at the left vectically so the half is below the original item and put some text info on the steps I used to do it in Vcarve. It is not an automated function in Vcarve but it is not too hard to do. I did not see a function to do this automatically, but if you ask this question on the Vectric forum you may have a better response. I hope this helps somehow.
    I attached the file in zip format since the .dxf is too large to attach here.

Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Hello Claude,

It sounds like you are looking for auto-panelling that only creates toolpaths for specific regions / rectangle sizes over a larger design, with the XY origin for each panel being moved the X0, Y0. Afraid this is not available in any of the Vectric software.

We do have customers using the Weld and Node Editing tools in VCarve Pro / Aspire to manually edit a large design into smaller regions to cut on their machines, but this is not an automatic process.

Tony

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mac View Post
    Hello Claude,

It sounds like you are looking for auto-panelling that only creates toolpaths for specific regions / rectangle sizes over a larger design, with the XY origin for each panel being moved the X0, Y0. Afraid this is not available in any of the Vectric software.

We do have customers using the Weld and Node Editing tools in VCarve Pro / Aspire to manually edit a large design into smaller regions to cut on their machines, but this is not an automatic process.

Tony
    The Break Many function in Bob-cad break all the selected vectors at their intersection point, making it easy to divide the drawing.

I suppose once you get used to working with V-Carve you can always find a way.

Thank you.

why not just split the file in a cad program first?

not sure if you solved your problem yet or not...

i haven't looked at the file/frame in question myself but why not just split the vectors into 2 files in a cad program first? progecad would do just fine and its free too. just draw a line down the middle, make a copy and go wild with the trim command... i'm sure there's other ways but that would be quick. one copy would be the right side and one copy would be the left after all the trimming.