584,826 active members*
5,141 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DNC hardware conection

Hi

I am trying to connect 4 CNCs to a computer. 3 of the cnc are Fanuc 10T, 16M and 0M which have RS232 port and a Deckel Maho 50V which has an ethernet port. I would like to know if any of you know with whom I can get the hardware needed for a DNC connection, any brands or suppliers. At this moment I have 3 possible connection architectures.

1) Connect all 3 machines Fanuc to a RS232 DNC hub and from there to a regular router so i can connect the Deckel Maho and then to a computer.

2)Connect the Fanuc controllers to a RS232 converter and then to a router where I can also connect the Deckel Maho and from there to the PC. (on this connection I would like to know if there is any problem with the DNC software. Is it capable of recognizing all machines even thought the conversion from RS232 to a 802.1 protocol?)

3) Connect the Fanuc controllers to a RS232 converter and then to a wireless transmitter also the Deckel Maho to a wireless transmitter and to a wireless router and finally to the computer.. I also have the same doubt as the one before and how much more does it cost from option 2.

The CNC machines are not very far from the PC, the connection cable would be around 10 yards.
    The hardware that I have found for the connections are

http://www.grecosystems.com/products/EmbeddedDNC.htm
    http://www.grecosystems.com/products/wirelessdnc.htm

Also If you recommend any DNC software.

Please I need some advice
    Thank you

Re: DNC hardware conection

Highland DNC, LLC. for low cost wireless and DNC in a box

Personally, I'd have a basic PC (slave) with an Ethernet card and the DNC software as the hub near the machines that is linked with WIFI to your programming PC
    - DMG is plugged into the slave, ( or WIFI enabled )
    - Fanuc controls connected to a switch box with RS232 cable, switch box is connected to slave thru a COM port

Programming PC
    - is free to utilise all resources for use in CAD/CAM, research, internet etc ( this is usually the expensive PC )
    - it ( or a different storage location ) holds the NC files for running in the machines, which is accessed by the slave PC, for transmission to the machines.

Slave PC
    - is free to send/receive files to the Fanucs
    - able to run drip-feed (large) files if required
    - can act as the WIFI link for the DMG to access the NC file locations on the local network
    - used in a grotty area, doesn't hold critical operating data, if HDD/keyboard go down, not hard to replace
    - no NC data should be stored on it for the last reason. An HDD image should be performed so the HDD can be simply replaced
    - not be connected to internet, hard to corrupt with hackers, viruses etc ( but should have an antivirus system, just to check any floppies or USB drives that may get used in it )

They are stacks of other options, but it depends on how far into it you wish to go.

We are in the long arduous process eventually going wireless. We are using some Ethernet to wireless on the newer moris, and the rs232 to wireless on the older equipment. Spectrum DNC makes a nice package.

sent from me

I would caution against using wireless for DNC due to the potential of connection loss during transmission.

At the very least you need to do a wireless site survey to look at the existing traffic in the air before you install a bunch of new transmitters. Each transmitter adds to the radio smog in the area. There is a saturation point where speeds will slow down and connection drops will become common. The range of each device is also hindered by the radio smog. There are a limited number of channels available and anyone can install a new Wifi device at any time. Your neighbor could set up a new router that suddenly causes mysterious problems.

The FANUC manual advises against connecting CNC machines in to a production data network because traffic congestion from other computers will compete with DNC. Imagine that the air around you is one big network switch and the WiFi Channels are like hubs plugged in to that switch. There may be 11 channels but only 3 are clear. These "air hubs" are shared by anyone within range. It's a miracle that this stuff works at all.

It's just not scalable. It would work for a couple machines out in the country but not for a large number of machines or an urban setting. Plan ahead. Use hard lines when possible.

So another handful of years have passed since the last comment on this thread. Can someone point me in the right direction to see what options are available on the market these days to connect from a modern computer to an old rs232 cnc machine?
    Ethernet > RS232
    USB > RS232
    Wireless? > RS232?

Any documentation, video, or insight would be greatly appreciated!

PS. We recently got 2 more cnc machines giving us a grand total of 3 cnc machines. They all have RS232; one also has USB (which is what we currently use), and the last one has ethernet port, RS232, and PCMCIA port. I have not gotten the ethernet to work yet; and we don't yet have RS232 cable for it. I'm not sure I want to go with RS232 - or if I do, then through what kind of path. Any insight would be appreciated. Obviously I want something reliable and then as convenient as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Schtritzpog View Post
    So another handful of years have passed since the last comment on this thread. Can someone point me in the right direction to see what options are available on the market these days to connect from a modern computer to an old rs232 cnc machine?
    Ethernet > RS232
    USB > RS232
    Wireless? > RS232?

Any documentation, video, or insight would be greatly appreciated!

PS. We recently got 2 more cnc machines giving us a grand total of 3 cnc machines. They all have RS232; one also has USB (which is what we currently use), and the last one has ethernet port, RS232, and PCMCIA port. I have not gotten the ethernet to work yet; and we don't yet have RS232 cable for it. I'm not sure I want to go with RS232 - or if I do, then through what kind of path. Any insight would be appreciated. Obviously I want something reliable and then as convenient as possible.
    I think some of these posts predate the perfection of wireless communications. ShopLink DNC wireless uses Class 1 bluetooth to avoid the issues dealing with
    figuring out a customers wireless access points, some being very complicated. My solution is to provide everything needed except the computer.
    The typical connection is via RS232 but I have unique wireless connections to USB looking like a flash drive to the cnc. Contact me to discuss further.
    List your exact control and model number for the benefit of others who might post back. Thanks, Jerry

Cool Re: DNC hardware conection

@Schtritzpog, the easiest method is to use a USB DNC Server. I've been using TITAN RS232 to USB CNC DNC server for a few years now. It's easy enough for the operators and it is reliable. I did have to buy a longer cable so that they could reach the device while standing at the control.

https://www.amazon.com/DNC-TITAN-RS2.../dp/B07QV9QZ7Q

If your machine has native Ethernet that is awesome. It allows you to manage files remotely. Setting it up is easy for an IT geek. However, it really depends on what protocols are supported. If it only accepts old SMBv1 you will find modern Windows systems will not communicate with the machine for security reasons. The last OS that will do it correctly was Windows 7 (Server 2008) era systems. For some reason I've had problems using SAMBA on Linux for these older machines. It just never connects despite the settings being correct. YMMV

RS-232 to Ethernet is possible but I don't recommend it. It requires special DNC software and more configuration on the server side to get it to work. If you can't figure out how to set up a machine with native Ethernet you will fail to set up this solution for sure. Maybe hire a geek.

The box that you would use is like this Moxa NPort 5100 Series:
    https://www.moxa.com/en/products/industrial-edge-connectivity/serial-device-servers/general-device-servers/nport-5100-series

They do make wireless ones like that Moxa box except it has the additional problems inherent to WiFi. I wouldn't trust a WiFi device for drip feed. A connection error will crash your machine. Not worth the risk.

I know this is a bit older thread but i am trying to get a Moxa Nport working on my Eumach mill with Heidenhain TNC360 control. I could never get it to connect to with RS232 TNC Remo or server (Heidenhain software) but have just recently managed to connect with Remo DNC software using 3 wire cable. Still not able to use the TNC software. I am now trying to run it through a Moxa Nport 5110A but doesn't work at all even with the same cable. I did get in touch with Moxa but they were as helpful as tits on a bull. Would any of you guys know anything about it??
    PS i have tried numerous cable configs and settings but all i get are different errors at the machine
    PPS I am able to ping the Nport unit no problems
    Regards Bob

Bob,
    General forum etiquette is to create a new thread for your issue instead of hijacking an existing one. You don't provide enough information here to help you. So when you do make a new thread be sure to include full troubleshooting and results. There are many points of failure in this system. You say you can ping the Moxa device so your network layer is good. If you can't get it to work with a direct wire then it certainly won't work with the moxa so certainly only use a setup that works with a wire before replacing the wire with the Moxa.

You would need to check the pinout of the Moxa device and compare to what the control expects. There might be a wire that needs to be remapped to a different pin (the same cable might not be what you want). The RS232 settings need to be setup correctly in the Moxa.

https://www.easydnc.com/cnc-machine-...enhain360.html

Yes im aware of forum etiquette but also aware that you get told to do a search before posting so when the mention of the Moxa came up in my search i asked the question here. Sorry if i offended anyone. I have got it to work with the 3 wire direct serial cable The Moxa ports are the same as the serial ports. This has been a strange thing from day one. I have never been able to connect to the Heidenhain software ever. I tried Easydnc and got it to work with the 3 wire cable no problems. Still wont work with the Heidenhain softwarewhich is fine. I don't mind buying Easydnc as i can use it on my Mazak as well so all good. Moxa have been back to me and have now been very helpfull and have me trying different things but still to no avil. Have another test to try today and see what happens. I will keep you posted and thanks for trying to help
    Regards Bob