585,758 active members*
4,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco BMC20 with Ultimax 2 control

Hurco BMC20 with Ultimax 2 control

Alright... here we go, I bought a BMC20 for next to nothing, I just didn't want the thing to go to the scrap yard. This machine was sitting for between 9 and 12 months before I finally was able to get it powered up and in its current state: When I power it up, it says it's doing the startup diagnostics, then ends up on the 'machine configuration' page, it also says the 'axes need calibration'. So I press exit, I then tell it that the tool in the spindle is 0, press the 'manual' key, then the 'power 'button(i hear a click, something energizing), at this point I notice the axis positions on the manual screen are empty, nothing at all, it still says 'axes need calibration'. Sometimes when I select the 'calibration' soft key, it will say to press 'start' to continue, when I do it doesn't do anything; more often than not, it just doesn't respond to the 'calibration' soft key being pressed. I know the machine is in the proper state to do what it is supposed to, I am also able to manipulate the magazine, except for "magazine home" soft key. Now, when I power up with the E-stop pressed, I immediately get a 'Spindle Fault' alarm, but on my 'manual' page, it shows(although incorrect) some values around +/-39.9 inches for X,Y and Z axis positions, but at least it shows an axis position. When the machine was purchased, I was told that it had a bad Z axis amp and that was why they pulled it out of production.Everything in the electrical cabinet seems proper, no odd alarm codes on the drives or spindle amp. I am not a shop, I don't have a lot of money to fix this machine, I don't have work to run on it, I just want to fix it. So if any of you geniuses can help me figure out where to start, I would be very apprciative. If anyone has cheap parts for this machine that may help, I would be very thankful too. I also think your families would be proud of you for helping a person to realize his dream of owning a 1991 Hurco BMC20 with Yaskawa drives. Thanks in advance.

You could call Hurco Tech Support 317-298-2635 for assistance.

Since the machine was sitting for so long, it more than likely drained the backup bateries on the memory PCB if it is a Ultimax 2 Control.
    When you power up the machine watch the screen, see if there is some type of error "Default config loaded"
    When it is booted up and on the Config Screen, Press ENTER, 639, ENTER. The cursor will be on the X Travel Limit line. Press the Zero key and then Enter. Then Press the F8 Exit key, (cursor is now on the bottom left corner of the screen). Now Press ENTER, 999, ENTER, the machine will now Re-Boot. This will force the machine to read the switch settings on the Personality PCB and hopefully re config for the correct travel limits on the next boot.

When it boots up, Press F8 Exit, then manual Power ON, and Start. See if you can manually select an Axis and Jog all of them BEFORE attempting to calibrate it. Watch the Machine Position Displays, if they are all ****** then the LS Map will need to be reloaded from the back up, or defaults.

If all axis Jog OK without a fault, then Calibrate it. At this point call Hurco Tech Support at the Phone # above.

Good Luck.

Brock

Quote Originally Posted by Brock_r View Post
    You could call Hurco Tech Support 317-298-2635 for assistance.

Since the machine was sitting for so long, it more than likely drained the backup bateries on the memory PCB if it is a Ultimax 2 Control.
    When you power up the machine watch the screen, see if there is some type of error "Default config loaded"
    When it is booted up and on the Config Screen, Press ENTER, 639, ENTER. The cursor will be on the X Travel Limit line. Press the Zero key and then Enter. Then Press the F8 Exit key, (cursor is now on the bottom left corner of the screen). Now Press ENTER, 999, ENTER, the machine will now Re-Boot. This will force the machine to read the switch settings on the Personality PCB and hopefully re config for the correct travel limits on the next boot.

When it boots up, Press F8 Exit, then manual Power ON, and Start. See if you can manually select an Axis and Jog all of them BEFORE attempting to calibrate it. Watch the Machine Position Displays, if they are all ****** then the LS Map will need to be reloaded from the back up, or defaults.

If all axis Jog OK without a fault, then Calibrate it. At this point call Hurco Tech Support at the Phone # above.

Good Luck.

Brock

Thanks alot! This is a step in the right direction! One question though.... I should be able to jog the axes without having them calibrated? I was under the assumption that I had to get the axes calibrated first and then I would be able to jog them, if you could answer this question, it would make my understanding more clear. KK

Yes, If everything is OK, After Power On, Press Manual, Power ON, Start. The Servo's should then turn ON, and you should first check and select each axis and jog each to make sure they move prior to calibrating.

Brock

Yes, If everything is OK, After Power On, Press Manual, Power ON, Start. The Servo's should then turn ON, and you should first check and select each axis and jog each to make sure they move prior to calibrating.

Brock
    First, I haven't called Hurco yet, but, I will tell you what I'm seeing. I followed your instructions and was in the "639" page, I hit 0 enter, then re-boot, when it reboots it goes right back to that "639" page and says the configuration has been changed and needs to be verified. Well, I verify and it just keeps coming up on that "639" screen after reboot. But, when I reboot with the e-stop button pressed, it will go to the normal machine configuration screen, it also shows a 'spindle fault alarm', I can then select the manual page, then try to jog an axis and it says that the "servo's off, press start to turn on" or something to that effect. When I pull out the memory board, the battery pockets are empty, so are the batteries somewhere else? I really need to figure out why my servo's aren't energizing, when I do press manual, then power I hear a slight click, then when I press start I hear nothing, should I hear the servo's or relays energizing at this point? Thanks so much for your help!

1st your old style memory PCB has the battery Dallas SRAM chips on it. The Battery is inthe chip and NOT replaceable. Those Chips are no longer made any more, so we use a differenct style chip set and add lithium batteries to the slots in the top of the board.

I think you will need a NEW Memory board to overcome the boot issue, otherwise it is always going to keep booting up with the same issue.

Get someone else (another body) to press and HOLD the POWER ON PB, and then START. Watch the Servo Amps, the display on each should change from a -. to just a . If your then release the Power On and Start, and the COR relay does not stay latched in, there is a bigger problem like a trippoed overload, or low air pressure.

It's time you pick up the Phone and call Hurco, and or request a Service Call from a local Service man.

1st your old style memory PCB has the battery Dallas SRAM chips on it. The Battery is inthe chip and NOT replaceable. Those Chips are no longer made any more, so we use a differenct style chip set and add lithium batteries to the slots in the top of the board.

I think you will need a NEW Memory board to overcome the boot issue, otherwise it is always going to keep booting up with the same issue.

Get someone else (another body) to press and HOLD the POWER ON PB, and then START. Watch the Servo Amps, the display on each should change from a -. to just a . If your then release the Power On and Start, and the COR relay does not stay latched in, there is a bigger problem like a trippoed overload, or low air pressure.

It's time you pick up the Phone and call Hurco, and or request a Service Call from a local Service man.
    You were right about the tripped overload, the one in the spindle amp was tripped. It was very hard to see and not even close to obvious, I appreciate your help Brock and look forward to getting help from you in the future. Thanks.