584,861 active members*
4,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Suggestions on New VSD-Core Based Mains Powered Drive

I have been working the past few weeks to draw up a VSD-Core based drive that will run directly from 200-230 VAC mains. The drive will be housed inside an enclosure that that will mount to a piece of din track. That way you will be able to mount multiple drives very neatly. All connections will be on the bottom of the enclosure, except the SIP interface, which will be under the front hinged cover. The front cover will be clear-tint, allowing the status led's to shine through. On to the drives specs.

The drive will feature the following:

Full opto-isolation on all input and output pins.
    Short Circuit detection
    Over Temp Cutout
    Over Current Detection
    Hall Sensor Inputs
    Full Onboard Power Supply

That is just the basic's for now. As I am still working on it, the list will grow.

The drive should be capable of 20A output.

The power supply in the drive will be able to accept 200 to 230VAC, like I mentioned before. The power supply will also regulate out 24, 15, and 5 volts for the logic and control portion of the drive. The power connection of the drive will be a Phoenix Contact connector that will plug into the mating connector on the board. This will be for easier wiring and swapping of drives.

The logic connectors will be DB9 connectors, each being a different gender as to not connect them wrong. One will connect logic signals for control and outputs, and the other will connect encoder and hall sensor signals.

The drive also features sockets on all the opto-isolator chips to allow for easy replacement if needed.

My goals for the drive also include fan cooling and multiple models for lower power and basic features to cut costs. Well see where that goes though.

I am still waiting on the layout specifications of the VSD-Core to finalize the design.

Here are some pics of the preliminary layout of the boards and suspected enclosure.

If anybody has any suggestions or comments, please post them. I am trying to be able to replace my old Yaskawa servo packs with this.

Thanks

-Adam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Logic:Control Board.jpg   Power Supply.jpg   railbox-35.jpg  
    www.adambrunette.com - Converting My Harbor Freight X2 And My Jet Jvm-830 Knee Mill, As well as many other projects.

Where is it possible to get the layout design and documents for the VSD core ???

Adam,

I'm sorry to let you down but the layout looks like spaghetti to me and needs complete redesign. For example, how much there is creepage & clearance between isolated circuits? Also I hope you don't use autorouter.

It looks like you'd need to study some PCB layout design.

I agree that its kinda messy, but I am in the process of re-laying out the board to fit the VSD -Core better. I know realized that there were a bunch of isolation issues and also will be interference issues. Like I said in an earlier post, that is a preliminary layout, and will still get the much attention it needs.

This is one of the more complicated designs I have done, but surely not my first.

I will post an update in a few weeks when I make some progress.

-Adam
    www.adambrunette.com - Converting My Harbor Freight X2 And My Jet Jvm-830 Knee Mill, As well as many other projects.

Adam,

Looks like a good idea to me, keep up the great work.

Xerxes,

Maybe Adam is Italian and he likes pasta, plus you cant fault him for trying.

JoeyB
    A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.