585,982 active members*
4,580 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help! ...no drive movement

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in ....anyway...I have no drive movement at all.
    I'm using a asus 2.4 running xp connected to Bob Cambells breakout board and it's driving Gecko 201's.
    I went through the mach 2 manual and set all my I/O's. I've checked the pin assignment with the doc's that came with the breakout board and there all the same.
    All my limits and my home proxs work good.
    When I ref. a drive, Mach 2 is showing movement on the DRO but I have 0vdc on the phase output of the drive. The drive has 48vdc at the power terminals and the red leds on the drive are lit.
    I checked the dir and step pins coming from the breakout board while it is idle, and i get 4.2 vdc on both pins to the common pin (common being +). I disconnected the disable line to make sure my drive disable circuit wasn't faulty.
    I get nothing, Is there anyone that can give me some pointers on what else to check? I'm about ready to scrap this project.
    Aspire, VCPro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D, Mach3, Home built CnC.

Sounds like the Geckos are wired wrong.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'm worried about the comment "common is +".

I'm pretty sure the drives are wired correctly but I'll double check.
    The common on the gecko is a postive 5 volts in respect to to the breakout board. it connects to the breakout board postive 5 volt supply, same as all geckos i believe
    Anyone else?...anything?
    I forgot to add that the step and dir connections on the breakout board have red LED's that that show activity, they only light up when the computer is powered down....kinda like the computer is actually changing the state whenever its powered up which gives me the ideal that the computer and the breakout board are working correctly. I'm not sure if this is revelant or not, or for that matter even accurate, but just another observation....
    I've been troubleshooting this for almost a week...so I have ran out of ideals....I'm a Electronic Tech,have been for awhile now and usually can troubleshoot electronic problems fairly quickly with the right test equipment but all I have here is my Fluke, I'll drag a scope home when I get another chance and check the inputs at the breakout board. Today is my last day off for awhile and was hoping to get this going but it ain't looking good....Thanks Guys...
    Chuck
    Aspire, VCPro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D, Mach3, Home built CnC.

Take the COMMON terminal (10) to the breakout board +5VDC. Disconnect and do not use the DISABLE input.

Set Mach2 pulse-width to 10uS and set the outputs "active low". If you dont have a scope, set your multimeter to "DC VOLTS", put the ground lead to PC ground and the + lead on the DIRECTION line. Jog the axis CW, note the voltage, then jog the axis CCW and note the voltage again. The voltages have to be 0.5V or less, 4.5V or more.

Measure your current set resistor with your multimeter. Verify it is correct for your motor phase current.

If it's still no joy, give me a call at 1-714-771-1662 during Pacific Standard Time business hours. We'll get it straightened out.

Mariss