585,973 active members*
4,020 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Can the Roland MDX-15/20 use software other than Modela Player?

Talking Can the Roland MDX-15/20 use software other than Modela Player?

Wanted to ask around and find out if there was more intelligent software than Modela Player for the Roland MDX-15.

Intelligence defined as capable of taking into account the tool dimensions beyond the flute diameter. Modela as it stands believes that square tipped end mil is the same width from top to bottom. It doesn’t take into account that the flute diameter might be small and the shank will taper outwards. Or even if there is a cuff on it. This then leads to fun times for the user measuring the 3d model and trying to compensate for unwanted collisions.

As a hobbyist I don’t have a huge pile of money to throw at this issue. But I’m welcome to any and all suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by mg01 View Post
    Wanted to ask around and find out if there was more intelligent software than Modela Player for the Roland MDX-15.

Intelligence defined as capable of taking into account the tool dimensions beyond the flute diameter. Modela as it stands believes that square tipped end mil is the same width from top to bottom. It doesn’t take into account that the flute diameter might be small and the shank will taper outwards. Or even if there is a cuff on it. This then leads to fun times for the user measuring the 3d model and trying to compensate for unwanted collisions.

As a hobbyist I don’t have a huge pile of money to throw at this issue. But I’m welcome to any and all suggestions.
    [I often run my Roland machines with DeskProto; it has more advanced features than Modela Player (like the ability to specify tapered and multi-diameter tools) and it's a lot faster to calculate toolpaths. Once you've written your *.rol files, you can also run them from the DeskProto workspace.

For what you're doing, DeskProto Lite might be all you need, and that's fairly inexpensive. You can download a demo version from DeskProto.com that will post code for a month - when you're thoroughly addicted, come to me for a discount price on it...]

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Thank you so very much for the quick reply. I'll have to try that demo first thing in the morning.

Have a great weekend.