584,858 active members*
4,499 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas 123 Spindle Drive Fault question

Haas 123 Spindle Drive Fault question

We have a VF-2 (1997 with a Magnetek drive) that has recently generated two "123 Spindle Drive Fault" alarms.

One occurred during warm-up and the other while cutting a week later. Also, I heard a few click-like sounds from somewhere towards the back of the machine that I hadn't heard before.

When powering up the machine most recently, there were even more clicking sounds, at fast random intervals like a Geiger counter, so I shut it down. The clicks sounded like possibly a relay.

Does anyone have an idea what the clicking sounds might be from, and how they might relate to the 123 alarm?

I think on your machine there is a shot pin for spindle orientation on the top back side of the spindle. there is a limit switch that reads the position which if bad may cause the shot pin to move back and forth possibly locking the spindle giving your alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by rlabonte18 View Post
    I think on your machine there is a shot pin for spindle orientation on the top back side of the spindle. there is a limit switch that reads the position which if bad may cause the shot pin to move back and forth possibly locking the spindle giving your alarm.
    Thanks for the response. Is this something we can test ourselves or do we need to have a service technician out?

The local service center suggested the problem could be a bad cable, among other possibilities.

I have seen this before, and in my case it was the actual Magnetek spindle drive that was clicking (relay sound) during start-up, and sometimes during running. I replaced the drive.

The 123 spindle drive fault is a generic alarm on older machines. It basically states that there is an alarm on the Magnetek spindle drive. You must look at the Magnetek drive itself and see the alarm that is shown, and refer to the Magnetek Drive Manual to see what the error code is.

I suspect the drive.