584,837 active members*
5,570 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

hypertherm powermax 85

setting up my hypertherm powermax 85 and have qustions on the arc voltage
    from the dynatorch controller box i have to wires i think a black and red, are these for the arc voltage? also do i remove the hypertherm cover and connect to terminals inside of the unit. Once i get them all set up what do i have to change as far as setting in the software parameters to get it functioning right.

Thanks

Diego

You should be able to go from the interface plug on the back of your pm 85 to your conteroler witch should be factory set at 50 to 1.
    then set the scaled arc votage on the torch tab to 6.
    this being said I went from a pm 1000 with the arc voltage read raw from inside the unit witch all worked well, to a pm 85 reading from the interface plug at 50 to 1 and it reads a mile out if the book says set point 135 say I must use maybe 100 or somthing like that and know one seems to be able to tell me why so I hope we get some more feed back here.

I would suggest calling Leon at Dynatorch....as there are quite a few different versions of the Dynatorch arc voltage height control. Some are designed to connect to the Raw Arc Voltage directly on the main power board in any plasma system, which can be as high as 300 volts DC, others are designed to operated with a divided arc voltage output from the plasma.....which often is 1/50th of the 300 VDC signal (6 volts).

The Powermax 85 has Raw Voltage connections on the internal Powerboard ...I can send you a .pdf file which will guide you through those connections. If you have a Powermax85 equipped with the rear panel CPC interface receptacle...then there is a choice of 5 different voltage divider output ratio's, depending on the required input from your height control circuitry.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Thank you for your reply Jim I have had Dynatorch check my controller thay say its ok and set for 50 to 1
    if I cut 3/16 plate at 70 i.p.m. with 45 amp and my hight control set to 100 my torch is about .056 high and the voltage across the control wires at the back of my pm 85 is2.07 d.c. if I rase my hight conterol setting to 105 the voltage gos to 2.17 and the hight gos to .095 ruffly.
    I have checked the dip swiches in the power max thay look to me as if there set for 50 to 1 its a new machine and I have moved nothing. I'm not very smart with this stuff I hope it makes sents to you.I would shure like to have my settings a little closer to were thay should be.

If you cut 3/16" steel with the Powermax85 using 45 amp consumables at 45 amps....with a .060" fixed torch standoff....and put DC voltmeter directly on the DC output (positive on the work lead, negative on the electrode lead....and do a fixed height cut at 70 inches per minute (new consumables) then your arc voltage reading on the meter will be within 5 volts of 130 volts.

There is something slightly out of calibration in your voltage divider or height control system. Sounds like your desired voltage setting needs to be set at 25 to 30 volts lower than the actual voltage. The power pupply output voltage (raw voltage) can be measured as described above....with the height control off and the torch cutting as described above at a fixed height. Then do another identical cut and read the voltage divider output (pins 5 and 6 on the CPC connector).....that will read 1/50th of the pervious reading.

It is possible that if the above comes out correct...that there is some sort of calibration pot in the Dynatorch electronics. In reality...you could just set all of your voltage settings for different materials and thicknesses about 30 volts lower than the Hypertherm suggested voltage....and the height will likely be right.

The arc voltage to height ratio will vary with:

-changes in torch air pressure
    -Electrode wear
    -changes in cut speed
    -changes in amperage
    -changes in material thickness
    -moisture in air lines
    -poor work ground connection (dirty slats)

The voltages listed in Hypertherm's manual (I find) are very accurate....and are developed under lab conditions with high grade electronic test equipment and new consumables in the torch. They are however suggested starting voltages....results vary based on the above listed varaibles...as well as with system installation (wiring type, wiring length) and height control calibration accuracies.

The voltage you read does not matter.....the physical cut height is what is important. Arc voltage is only used as a feedback mechanism to maintain the height that produces the best cut....which is the height listed in the Hypertherm cut charts!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by miles peters View Post
    Thank you for your reply Jim I have had Dynatorch check my controller thay say its ok and set for 50 to 1
    if I cut 3/16 plate at 70 i.p.m. with 45 amp and my hight control set to 100 my torch is about .056 high and the voltage across the control wires at the back of my pm 85 is2.07 d.c. if I rase my hight conterol setting to 105 the voltage gos to 2.17 and the hight gos to .095 ruffly.
    I have checked the dip swiches in the power max thay look to me as if there set for 50 to 1 its a new machine and I have moved nothing. I'm not very smart with this stuff I hope it makes sents to you.I would shure like to have my settings a little closer to were thay should be.

WOW Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail, even I can understand what your talking about.Your right my machine works fine it just bugs me that its not quite were it should be and I did'nt know were to start.

Re: hypertherm powermax 85

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    I would suggest calling Leon at Dynatorch....as there are quite a few different versions of the Dynatorch arc voltage height control. Some are designed to connect to the Raw Arc Voltage directly on the main power board in any plasma system, which can be as high as 300 volts DC, others are designed to operated with a divided arc voltage output from the plasma.....which often is 1/50th of the 300 VDC signal (6 volts).

The Powermax 85 has Raw Voltage connections on the internal Powerboard ...I can send you a .pdf file which will guide you through those connections. If you have a Powermax85 equipped with the rear panel CPC interface receptacle...then there is a choice of 5 different voltage divider output ratio's, depending on the required input from your height control circuitry.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Jim, I would love to get that PDF on how to connect my raw arc voltage.

thanks,

Larry

Here is the Raw arc voltage document for a Powermax65, 85 and 105. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Here is the Raw arc voltage document for a Powermax65, 85 and 105. Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Jim, thank you very much!