585,992 active members*
6,161 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Feed Hold vs. Reset Button

In Mach 3 Mill, there is a Feed Hold (space bar) and the Reset button. If I see that the end mill will collide with the table or fixture, should I press the Feed Hold or Reset. At times, I just want the x,y,z movements to momentarily pause so that I can check for possible collisions between the end mill and fixture/table, and then resume the G-code.

My question is, what is the main difference between Feed Hold and Reset? Will Feed Hold halt the x,y,z movements imediately or will it allow some movements to occur due to either finishing the current gcode line or due to momentum?

Thanks,

Hello,
    The Reset-button will stop everything - right now. You'll most likely loose position and won't be able to restart easily.

The Feedhold is what you are looking for, it will decelerate all motors gently, following your acceleration profile, but it will have a slight delay as Mach3 needs to empty what is in its buffer. Usually it stops within a second or so - try it out. There's also the Stop button which, just as with Reset/E-stop, will stop motion abruptly.

if you see it is going to crash, you had better be quick with the ESC key or the BIG RED EStop button!(wedge)